Target - Average Retail Work | Glassdoor

"Average Retail Work"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Akron, OH
Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Akron, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is opportunity for plenty of hours and friendly coworkers. The work is simple but you feel rewarded when you step back and see what you have accomplished.

Cons

The managers are a bit pushy and expect too much from you for this being a part-time minimum wage job. They don't always go the nicest route in giving you constructive criticism (I have left in tears more than once). They also bark orders to you while they sit in their offices eating chipotle.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful and understanding with your team mates. You never know what could be going on in their personal lives.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. "Not what I expected!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well the starting pay for a cashier is slightly higher than minimum wage at $7.75.

Cons

When you get offered a position they make you sign an agreement accepting the job but also agreeing to get at least one person to complete the red card application for each shift worked. However, they do not tell you that you will be hounded everyday about getting these red card applications and even written up if you don't meet their quota which can change from day to day. I've gone in and been told I was required to get at least 3 red card applications before the end of a 5 hr shift. It's ridiculous and unrealistic because no employee can force a guest to apply for this credit card. I feel that by offering the option to each guest shows compliance but management does not seem to see it this way. For me, this has caused added stress to performing my job.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and you wouldn't have such a high turnover.

2. "Great opportunity to manage numerous teams right out of college"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training. Good management opportunities.

Cons

It's retail aka not glamorous and you may find yourself working cash registers or cleaning toilets. It can be political like any other larger corp.