Target - +Feedback sessions and focus on E's of Excellence in leadership dimensions. -Work/life balance. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"+Feedback sessions and focus on E's of Excellence in leadership dimensions. -Work/life balance."

Current Employee - ETL - Logistics
Current Employee - ETL - Logistics

Pros

Our store manager was the best boss I've ever worked for. Target has a stong emphasis at hiring quality talent to not only meet the needs of the guests, but for the team, as well. I really grew personally during my time at Target, due to the feedback sessions in which I learned more about my strengths AND opportunities! Many places of employment only communicate the opportunities in one's leadership without any recognition or focus on the strengths; or, they are too intimidated to bring up the topic of one's opportunities and never say anything until you hear the statement, "It's just not the right fit for us."

Cons

The company "talks" about work/life balance, but I personally found it very difficult. My personal life was directly related to payroll allocated. When payroll was tight and we could not come clean in our process without me jumping in and helping, I put in easily 60+ hrs./week. However, there were a few times when I had enough payroll where the team was able to accomplish the workload and my week was more in line with 45 - 50hrs. /week.

Advice to Management

HR structure can be very confusing at the District level, and it sometimes seemed as if HR was always working contrary to the needs of the business and team.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"Good for a retail store"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

Flexible hours, I only worked holidays and summers as I only worked when at home.
    Yearly raise
    Management is generally competent
    Management is willing to listen to your suggestions
    Fairly easy to change job centers (i.e. cashier to salesfloor to guest service to electronics, etc.)

Cons

Hours vary some. 40 hours may be desired, but sometimes they can only offer 30 or so.
    Learning more doesn't equate to earning more. I knew cashiers who knew salesfloor, guest service, and cart attendant, but still only received cashier level pay. Photo and food ave received a minimal boost, I think a quarter. I always found it funny that guest service didn't receive more in that they deal with a lot more problems then a cashier does.

Advice to Management

In general doing well. I think it would be beneficial to encourage cross training of cashiers by allowing a pay increase for each extra center known. Even if it was 10 or 15 cents per work center, the more cross-trained cashiers are, the easier it is cover all areas appropriately.

2. "Target ETL"

Pros

There is a team based atmosphere and learning are encouraged. You are given the autonomy to make mistakes, but just learn from them!

Cons

The only issue, and this goes with any retail career is the amount of hours necessary to work sometimes. Besides that it is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Target is an awesome place to work. The salary and benefits are competitive in the retail industry and at least in my store everyone is treated fairly. Target is a great company to work for, as long as you enjoy retail!