Target - Lots of Fun | Glassdoor

"Lots of Fun"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Tampa, FL
Former Employee - Team Leader in Tampa, FL

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working there seemed like play time most of the time even when I had 30+ team members that was responsible for.

Cons

As many large companies, it has its share of bureaucratic bs and their alleged development plans are a big turn off (not very open communication).

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"Poor Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-35 to 40 hours per week in many cases (whether you want those hours or not)
    -Good systems in place for stocking and replenishment
    -Awesome and friendly co-workers

Cons

-Management fails to practice what they preach
    -Non sales floor management lacked even basic knowledge of that part of store
    -Management often unengaged with team members
    -Horrible, fluctuating schedules -- was working the closing shift during the week and then had to work 4 AM and 6 AM weekend shifts

Advice to Management

Perhaps I chose a bad store to work at, but my experience at Target revealed that the company has too much hype surrounding its treatment of employees. I was a student while working at Target and was given the impression that I would only be scheduled 20 or 25 hours per week, but consistently received 35+.

Management was often whipped into panic when informed of DTL visits. I can recall one evening when our LOD received word that our store was due for a brand walk the next morning. The team members worked feverishly to make the store look good. Meanwhile, the closing ETL spent most of the night in the LOD office...I didn't see her helping on the floor at all. We didn't leave until nearly 3 AM.

I could go on and on, but there was definitely a divide between management and non-management. This was mostly a temporary job to bring in a little extra money, but it was basically a huge waste of time in the end.

"Used to be so much better"

Former Employee - Clerical in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Former Employee - Clerical in Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Discount on anything they sell

Cons

They hire management that know nothing about retail.
    Everytime you turn around, another benefit is being taken away.

Advice to Management

Target used to be a company that was enjoyable to work for. In the last couple of years all the company cares about is recruitment, and they do not care what the school background is, as long as the management can plaster smiles on, deligate all the responsibilites on to lower paid employees and make it look like they are doing something. Target used to care about the team members, now they only care about the bottom line.