Target - Great career development & experiences | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Great career development & experiences"

Current Employee - Store Team Leader
Current Employee - Store Team Leader

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You control your destiny at Target if you have strong business acumen, are able to get results through your team and stay positive and solutions oriented. I truly enjoy the autonomy and freedom I have to run my store and lead my team to exceed company standards. High importance placed on leadership development for team and self.

Cons

Very metric driven, even when metrics don't mean great service or the right thing for the team/guest. Work/life balance is not great and we teach our teams to expect all leaders to be on the floor at all times, which leads little time for planning.

Advice to Management

Keep expectations realistic while being innovative and cutting expenses. Find a way to give work/life balance back to those in retail. I love retail and I love Target, but it is EASY to get burned out here and I don't want to feel that way, but it is inevitable at this point. Lastly, do away with the Best Team Survey! It is such a hollow, pencil whipped activity at this point and lost its genuine focus on seeking and implementing what the team wants. True feedback isn't given at the executive level because focus stores punish all leaders, not just the focus leader.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"This job will grind you into dust."

Current Employee - Overnight Team Member in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Overnight Team Member in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers can be nice. Occasionally there are break room events (free food). Stores are clean and tidy. Better than bottom-tier retail jobs (e.g. Walmart) if you work at a good store.

Cons

Pay does not reflect the amount of work you do, you get worked like a machine and paid almost nothing. Raises are a joke and so is the discount. No health benefits until you've worked for a while.

Work-life balance is terrible, even for a retailer. Nonsensical decisions from executives. Be prepared to be thrown into the sacrificial fire in order to boost profits for the company.

Very hard, if not impossible to get upwards mobility/promotions if you don't fit the company's image (young, white, attractive). EXTREMELY anti-union, do not mention the word 'union' or they will set you up for a fall and fire you (!!!).

Management is flaky and two-faced, I have seen them lie to or mislead other employees. They make constant nonsensical decisions that make the job harder and less productive. My store in particular has slowly become an awful place to work at over the past few months, so many long-time co-workers have quit on the spot.

Don't take this job unless it's a matter of life or death for you, or if you can't find anything better. If you're one of the unfortunate workers here at Target, do everything you can to find another, better job ASAP or do your best to get into college. It's a little (1%) better on dayside, but the pay is lower and I can still see the soulless, dreadful stare from the daysiders when I'm walking out of the store.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers a higher wage in exchange for giving up their social lives. Give day one health benefits for people who work in positions that are detrimental to their health.

Promote based on skill, experience, and dedication instead of based on appearances and facades. Additionally, promote from within instead of promoting yuppies straight out of college who have no experience or compassion for Target. Become union-friendly; global ideology is shifting more and more to the left and an anti-union mindset will destroy the company in the long-term.

"Repetitive"

Pros

Good work environment , steady hours

Cons

Hard workers get more workload push on them , while the lazy ones just walk around

Advice to Management

Take action with your lazy employees , if not you'll be losing the good ones