Target - It has its ups and downs | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"It has its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Team Leader in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work there are that it is a fast paced environment and always something to do.

Cons

Some times can get to be so busy that it is overwhelming and you tend to get lost in all that you are trying to get done

Advice to Management

More Help

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"A fast, not fun, or friendly place to work!"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Aurora, OH
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Aurora, OH

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule. Met some great people.

Cons

where to start.. I worked on Flow team. the hours are usually at 4am-8, but had a VERY inconsistent schedule. You were always pushed to work faster and harder to get the job done quicker. They were always trying to send us home early. Some days I was there less then 3 hours. I dont wanna get up at 3:30 AM to work for 2 hours! Management was horrible. There are too many etl's and team leaders, all of them extremely lazy. They seemed to never be doing anything, which made me confused why there was so many. They were all people with college degrees that really were not suited for their jobs. The job was very physical, and I feel anyone on flow team deserves to make more then almost minimum wage. If you are looking to get good hours, do not even consider Flow Team. Overall It was a very bad experience working there, and I definitely wouldnt suggest it to anyone.

Advice to Management

If you are gonna have meetings about "how were gonna work together and improve the store" actually try to do things that improve the store and dint just say it and forget about it the next day. Dont hire leaders just because they have a degree. Promote from within.

2. "Excellent enviornment, outstanding respect to fellow employees regardless of hierarchy, and unparalleled benefits."

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benetifs of being a team member are unmatched. After 6 months, you qualify for Target funded health insurance (if, however, as of the Affordable Care act, you don't immediately qualify for gov't insurance as far as I'm aware). Immediately after being hired, you get 401k assistance, a "Nurseline" that you can call anytime (i.e. they can answer that question about that mysterious rash on your back), unlimited growth/training opportunities (excludes seasonal until you get approved as a part/full-time member), a wage raise every April; and the list goes on and on...

Target is well known for its dedication to the validation of good work ethics, and encourages its team members to acknowlege other members if they had a good experience with a guest, or if another team member assisted them with something.

What I liked most about this job (just above the camaraderic environment) is that upper management actually encourages you to give suggestions about making the workplace more efficient. Which means, unlike many companies, they listen to all employees about ways to make their company a better place to work!

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that there aren't more companies like this out there. I can honestly say I didn't run into any problems that I could blame the company - or even any of my fellow employees about! I do wish the break room had lockers though; lockers are in the main office, which is kind of an awkward transition if you're on break and a guest asks you for help. By law (at least in Washington), you cannot assist guests while on lunch or break.

Advice to Management

This isn't necessarily advice to management per se, but; I had a efficiency suggestion that I kept on forgetting to inform management about. On the sales floor, one of the team's responsibilites is to answer all calls at the numerous call boxes spread around the store. These call boxes have wired phones. So when a guest calls and asks for us to look up an item, or put one on hold, we must leave the wired phones off the cradle (that has the hang-up trigger built into it) and on the ledge below it, leaving the phone just sitting on the ledge. Occasionally, a customer (or a child) will see this, think that the phone just never got hung up, and hang up the phone while the customer is waiting.

I was thinking it would help a lot if Target made cradles on the call box's ledge below the crade that had a sign saying "Do not hang up - customer call in progress". That way, it would reduce the likelihood of someone being hung up on, and get more sales. Of course, having wireless phones would solve the problem completely, but would cost more. I guess corporate would decide between those two options.