Target - Target, a learning experience in the Retail Market. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Target, a learning experience in the Retail Market."

Former Employee - Signing Specialist in Jackson, MS
Former Employee - Signing Specialist in Jackson, MS

I worked at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to learn retail operation.
You get to work with some wonderful people who sincerely care about the guest.
Target has a great 401k plan.

Cons

Target has a tendency to bypass employees for upper leadership position and hire outside unproven individuals.
Most Target employees are working part-time hours but paying for medical and dental benefits they can barely afford.
Target does more for the community than it does for its own employees.

Advice to Management

Before going outside house to hire upper management look at the employees in house that have degrees and a proven track record in leadership capabilities.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

""Okay" at best."

Current Employee - Backroom Logistics in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Backroom Logistics in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The people.
    -The pay is competitive (with places like Walmart, lol).
    -The benefits are actually really good.
    -My store in particular has a pretty fun vibe.

Cons

-Corporate micromanagement.
    -Upper management is absolutely clueless.
    -Hints of sexism, favoring women (only speaking about my store, not necessarily Target as a whole).
    -Constantly praising people for doing what they get paid to do, and not enough praising people that actually go above and beyond their job duties.
    -Many of the systems in place are seemingly designed to work against you, and make things far more frustrating and complicated than they really need to be. For example, when a new planogram is being set, the planogram team is required to put in a POG fill, which the back room team then has to pull the items from the back to fill the shelves in the newly-set area. The problem with this is that many of the products are literally moving 1 space over, and are actually already on the floor. So, approximately 95% (sometimes even 100%) of the items being pulled from the back room already need to be back stocked before they even leave the back room. The whole process is a massive waste of time, when all that really needs to be done is to just have the planogram or instocks team scan the aisle for outs. Then only the items that actually need to come out from the back will come out.
    -Not enough hours being given to stores to function at maximum potential. The saying "you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket" comes to mind, when you think about how much more product you can get onto the shelves to sell if you spent a few more hours of payroll to get more people in to put said product on the shelves and help the guests. In fact just today I had a guest ask me if our store was going out of business, because the shelves were so empty and there were only 2 people in all of hardlines.

A huge negative for me is the lack of opportunity to be promoted, and the requirements. I've never actually been able to pin down what the requirements are to be promoted to Team Leader, because they're apparently constantly changing. To be promoted to an ETL, you are required to have a 4 year degree. Why? They don't even require a degree in business. A degree in literally any field will suffice. People that have worked for Target 10+ years are passed over for promotion to ETL to someone that just graduated college and has never worked a retail job a day in their life. It's ludicrous.

I could go on and on but this is really long enough. Most things in this company are simple fixes, and perhaps if the people in corporate spent a little time working at store level, they'd be able to have a better grasp on how to actually run a company.

Also, getting 110 million credit and debit card number stolen really doesn't help sales. Perhaps it's time to hire a better IT consulting firm.

Advice to Management

I've only ever met two ETL's in my career with Target that actually "lead" their teams. If you're going to give someone the title of Executive Team LEADER, at least make sure that they are capable of it.

Corporate, please stop trying to micromanage everything, and start learning what your stores' local demographics are. In south Florida, it's basically beach weather every day. So why get rid of most of the beach-themed items when "winter" starts rolling around? Just because it snows up north doesn't mean it snows in south Florida.

"If they like, you, you are set. If you have an opinion, move on."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, holiday pay for leadership positions, time off whenever needed even when you dont have paid time coming, good discounts program

Cons

Low base pay, minimal pay increases, schedules change constantly, even for supervisor positions, store managers care about their end of year bonuses more than they care about the employees being able to pay their bills.

Advice to Management

Penny wise, pound foolish. You can't pay rent with a PB&J sandwich from the breakroom, or candy at huddle.