Target - Expects hard work with high level results but good pay and benefits but high turnover | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Expects hard work with high level results but good pay and benefits but high turnover"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Pharmacy Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Pharmacy Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

2 weeks vacation per year, great bonus if you are a high performer with high potential after your 1st year. paid holidays. if you work a holiday, you get time and half pay. initial 'honeymoon' phase, eg your first year of employment, everyone is super friendly and nice to you and mistakes are acceptable. however after the honeymoon period, you must produce results or have very good reasons why and what you're doing to get those results. constant follow up from superiors if you are not meeting expectations. lots of Target lingo, easy to learn, critical if you want to climb up in the organization. if you are a good talker and have no problem dedicating your life to Target, they will reward you amazingly. in other words, if you meet every single objective, leave no rock unturned, exceed most objectives, be real friendly to other co workers and superiors, they will give you an amazing bonus, even if you dont meet sales. as long as they can tell you are dedicating your life to Target, they will reward you financially.

Cons

on the other hand, if you try to claim your results are lacking because of your personal life, eg you arent able to come in on this day because of your child or because of a medical appointment, they will slowly take note. you will be seen as being undependable. Even if you produce results, mediocre results will not satisfy them, they will push you to get great results on everything, then continue to focus on any other area that may be lacking. if you take feedback and criticism negatively or not receptive you might as well not apply or quit. if you dont thank other people or praise others consistently and liberally, you might as well not apply or quit. Target has a culture, if you buy into it and dedicate your life, there is no such thing as 'oh i have to spend time with my family so i cant do this' you will be rewarded and promoted. if you try to dedicate your life but still try to have a personal life, your career will be flat with no raises or bonuses. this is a company where you have to talk the talk and walk the walk, cross every t and dot every i. and lastly, target cares more about guests than the team members. Team members are replaceable. guests are not.

Advice to Management

More pharmacists will be graduating more than ever! With 7 pharmacy schools producing nearly 1,000 pharmacists per year, there should be plenty of talent to engage. Lets increase the annual turnover quota by 50%

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. "My working experience at Target"

Former Employee - Cashier in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Valencia, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Greeting and interacting with different people. First experience as a cashier and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was one of my favorite jobs.

Cons

Dealing with difficult customers and the unfriendliness of some of the floor people.

Advice to Management

When I was hired at Target for the holidays, I was given an employment package. I was told there was a possibility of staying on after the holidays, as Target usually keeps a good portion of their "seasonal" employees. No one bothered to tell me that my employment at Target was over. I had to ask why I wasn't on the schedule. I was told matter-of-factly, "Oh, I guess this is your last shift". Just like that. HR thought someone had told me. I told them no one had said anything. Then HR said I must have been out sick. I told them I never had been out since my employment.Then they blamed the manager, then the manager blamed one of the floor people, who had checked my name (without even talking to me) off to indicate I had been told. It was done very poorly, in my (and others) opinion.

"Speed and Greed"

Former Employee - General Manager/Director Distribution in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager/Director Distribution in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can make a lot of money. This company pays extremely well to keep talent.

Cons

You must be willing to fit into their cookie cutter culture. If you try to step outside the lines and be inventive, they will knock you back in line.

Advice to Management

You are too focused on the bottom line. Take care of your Guests and your Team. The profits will follow. It is this stay in line, don't ask questions attitude that gets you in trouble.