Target - Executive Team Leader in Guest Service | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Executive Team Leader in Guest Service"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training for Executives, Flexible work schedule including nights and weekends, good at recruiting college grads, Corporate Structure.

Cons

Limited Opportunities to Advance, Low pay raise to hourly employees, cutting hours from the team members to adjust for lack of sales.

Advice to Management

None

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"Great money, awesome people, hard work, long shifts"

Former Employee - Distribution Center MBP in Wilton, NY
    Former Employee - Distribution Center MBP in Wilton, NY

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great at the distribution centers, but expect to work very very hard for it. Wonderful 401k with 5% match. Very team oriented. Awesome coworkers. Very professional atmosphere. Positive uplifting culture. Very clean building inside and out. Top notch equipment. Several vending machines in break rooms including cold items like sandwiches and salads. Many yearly work functions and events to build the bond and improve team morale. Ability to swap days off with other TM's with GL's signed approval. Thorough training. Constantly revamping best practices to be more efficient. Morning startup meetings to inform everybody the days business needs as well as "all team meetings" a few times a year to talk business and what to expect for the upcoming months, often with a food catered celebration following. Target is HUGE on safety (to avoid lawsuits for work related injuries). Tuition assistance. ATM on sight. The warehouse is like a little mini city :-)

Cons

Not much advancement for people without a 4 year degree. Lead roles are filled with fresh out of college graduates who know nothing about the business. The quotas are not always 100% obtainable. You will get written up if you do not hold a 100% average. If you fall below 100%, Group Leaders manipulate employees into thinking they are not good employees. If your average does not increase within 2 weeks, the process of corrective action will begin. No other factors will be considered. Group Leaders will shun you, make you feel unimportant, harass you, set you up to fail, and chase you out if you do not perform. This is not the Group Leader's fault; this trickles down from higher management. Additionally, it is very hard to get the weekday shift. I was there 2 months shy of 5 years and I was stuck with 12 hrs shifts EVERY Saturday, Sunday & Monday, with no sign of change. Mandatory overtime could be a stickler sometimes. If you do not come in for this, you will be written up.

Advice to Management

Quotas should be derived by the products which the stores in your region actually carry; not what all stores across the country carry. Stock varies increasingly with different areas of the country. Sometimes, the quotas vs. volumes were right on point, but there were A LOT of times when they did not correlate with each other. Shame on you - you have lost many dedicated employees because of this, including me.

Shifts should go back to where every employee has at least 1 weekend day off. People have kids and we miss out on so much, just to earn a living with your company. After a while, it just wasn't worth it anymore to me.

"I used to once love target now I'm looking for a way out."

Current Employee - Target Team Member in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Target Team Member in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy helping people out then Target is the job for you. A very clean and friendly environment to work at. They have benefits and many volunteer events. I would recommend Target for students looking for a part-time job only. You can take time off, but you must request it before they create the schedule. This is not all Targets but most of them are have their good and bad, so you have to ask and look into it before applying.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company and not a great place to work if you have a family. The pay and raises is not worth it for all the work you have to do in a retail store. I have seen people work here for years and they give new postions to the new people. They cut hours and you cant get overtime.