Target - Great place to be | Glassdoor

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Group Leader - DC in Pueblo, CO
Current Employee - Group Leader - DC in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere, company genuinely cares about Team Members and development of management talent. Compensation and benefits are good, and it's great getting a discount for shopping!

Cons

A big company can be a challenge for people to work in. Be prepared to be overwhelmed at first! Shift work can be a challenge to take on if it is not something you are used to.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"Great employees, terrible management"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance I guess, meaning that you end up with a part-time schedule whether you want it or not. Really great team members, Target hires really good people. I love the people I work with every day. That's pretty much it.

Cons

Whenever upper management is in the store they totally ignore us (which makes me wonder, why even bother touring your stores?) One regional manager stopped by our store on a semi-regular basis, and she made sure to walk by the pharmacy and glare at us, never saying a word. She was promoted, of course. Pharmacies are being micromanaged like crazy. We are only supposed to have minimal inventory on the shelves, except for the fastest moving drugs. We are literally expected to only order medication when guests bring in prescriptions, and make them wait one to two business days. Training is a joke.

Advancement opportunity is absolutely zero. Pay is terrible. Competitive it is not, and I work in the pharmacy, so I make almost double the state minimum wage, and it's barely enough to pay for rent and the car. Insurance is terrible, if I was even eligible for it, half the time my hours are below the minimum cut-off. I knew several employees who signed up for the insurance plan only to be kicked off it several months later when their hours were cut. Constantly firing older employees and bringing in younger naive ones. Walmart business model with a slightly more stylish veneer.

And possibly the most grating thing about Target is that communication among team members has to be formalized and made into paperwork, with "Good Team" cards. Great, somebody noticed that I worked well with a guest. It would have been nicer if they could just tell me, rather than handing me a hastily scribbled piece of paper which I'm then expected to hang on the board, to prove that we *support* each other. The Vibe is idiotic. You know what would be even better, rather than making me fill out an hour's worth of paperwork documenting how I helped guests, is if I could use that time to *better serve guests.* That was actually one of the points in my annual review, that I spend too long talking with guests. No, I'm not building relationships and maintaining our business's good reputation, to Target I should be using that time to fill out paperwork. Corporatocracy at its best.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Management obviously couldn't care a fig for loyal employees. My coworker's mother also worked in HR for Target, and several weeks shy of her 10 year anniversary working with Target she was unceremoniously fired, so Target could save a minimal amount of money by not paying her benefits she would have been eligible for (and yes that was the reason given to her by the Hr rep who fired her). After being an excellent employee for over 9 years, she wasn't even allowed to use the front door when they fired her. There's no conscience here at all. To shaft your loyal and hardworking employees out of measly pay, and then shell out $55 million in severance for Steinhaffel, you've got to be delusional. Burning your employees like this is poisoning your corporate culture. The only reason I'm still here is because the job market is so poor right now. As soon as I'm offered something else, I'm gone. Maybe I'll put in my two weeks, maybe not. Good luck to you.

"Sales Floor Team Member - Seasonal"

Pros

Start pay $9.75 (graveyard have different pay), plenty of hours to work, flexible with time schedule. A nice job for college students or extra income for part timers. If you get a conditional job offer, do good during the holiday seasons, do good with red cards and they'll keep you! Don't forget, "fast, fun, and friendly" and smile! :)

Cons

Some coworkers were lazy and gossipers.
    Late night shifts- depending on how busy the day is and how far you've done work throughout the night, you might stay longer than you're schedule.

Watch our hitting your 5th hours, they're really serious on that!