Target - Ideal company culture | Glassdoor

"Ideal company culture"

Current Employee - Group Leader - DC in Oconomowoc, WI
Current Employee - Group Leader - DC in Oconomowoc, WI

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, people, schedule, leadership, flexibility

Cons

plans for the future, workload

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"Hard work for little pay,. What the HECK was I thinking?"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the team members are fun, some customers are nice, I like working throughout the store to learn where everything is located.

Cons

HORRIBLE management. Store Manager is rarely visible, some managers are new and extremely young and are flexing their power by being particularly bossy, grumpy, arrogant, presumptuous. I've never experienced such lousy management in all my life - I've been in the work force for 25+ years (this is just a spare time, part-time job for me) and I'm truly shocked at how poor the management is at motivation, encouragement, conflict resolution, etc. Some of them are so lazy it's ridiculous - the perception by employees is that certain managers never do anything.

Overall expectations for team members are also ridiculous: we never have enough cashiers working so every person on the sales floor spends their entire shift running back and forth to the registers to help. I honestly don't mind helping, but I NEVER get my own job done because it seems I am always at the registers. Really crappy pay for the job: a lot of physical labor with stocking shelves, pulling pallets, running around from one end of the store to the other, dealing with rude customers (seriously, what adult goes to the sporting goods department and knocks 50+ pieces of merchandise on the floor? I saw her!), no praise, no rewards, no acknowledgement, (sorry, chips and salsa in the break room one day every other week means nothing), etc. etc. My father recently died while I was working - the manager on duty REFUSED to let me leave. I had to work to the end of my shift (another 5 hours). I should have quit that day.

The culture and values they preach are NOT the same in practice. It's all baloney. There is virtually no training for any of the jobs you have to do - you are just thrown into the lion's den. Some of the managers have NO clue about how to be a leader or how to effectively motivate so I'm assuming they've not received any training either.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for your team members who deserve it. A little praise can go a long way.

Staff the store with more team members; empty shelves and poor customer service due to lack of staffing only exascerbates poor sales. Duh.

Get rid of the poor performing team members - you know who they are. It only frustrates the rest of us when we have to do our job AND their job.

Start treating your employees as well as you treat your customers; don't we deserve the same respect? You practically give away anything and everything to appease a complaining customer, yet you treat your employees like slaves. With the data/security breach and negative press, you are going WAY overboard on the store level to try and compensate. You will literally let any customer do anything they want to cheat you out of the correct price of an item, all in the name of rebuilding trust with our customers. It's crazy. I'm college educated, graduated with honors, and have been told by other team members I am the best worker my store has hired - you'd never know it by my management. I've been there 8 months and still haven't had any type of review, am never told I've done a good job....why am I busting my behind for a lousy $8.00 per hour? The employee discount is only 10% so that's not a huge incentive to stay. I'm turning in my notice....

"Not paid enough for what is asked from all employees"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Chico, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

people are nice, managers and team leaders act as if they are employee oriented. It does not reflect that in the pay check. $0.07 raise is an absolute joke.

Cons

Will take a VERY VERY VERY long time to make a living on the current wage.

Advice to Management

pay your employees more.... you say that you are above Wal-Mart... Prove it by paying your employees more. They deserve it.