Target - Best of retail work, needs a better system for scheduling. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Best of retail work, needs a better system for scheduling."

Former Employee - Backroom Team Member in Macomb, MI
Former Employee - Backroom Team Member in Macomb, MI

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far, the friendliest and most respectful team to work with. Very strong focus on communication and getting things done. Target as a whole seems to be very committed to having their retail work experience seem more professional than most. They also love to cross-train for different areas of the store, making it easy to gain hours and responsibilities. Their strategy for raises is fair, and they offer a generous 401k. I did not use their health care, but it is also supposed to be very good.

Cons

The weakest areas for target seem to be high variability in scheduling and a lack of dedication to training goals. I often had trouble getting proper sleep because I'd be scheduled for a 12-8 shift followed by an early morning truck! It also doesn't make sense that the team leaders constantly give everyone different hours and days every week. I understand that it's retail, but in my mind, no one benefits from that. On training - something about how hours are tracked often causes some level of fudging to happen - this results in a training session that's supposed to be an hour and involve many details to become five minutes and then the occasional comment when something is wrong.

Advice to Management

The greatest opportunity that you could take to improve the overall satisfaction that your team members have with their work experience would be to find a way to plan their schedules further ahead, and to plan their hours more consistently. I would have worked here far longer if I knew from week to week what my month was going to look like so I could schedule appointments.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. "A lot of hard work for nothing."

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, the only good thing I can say is you get a paycheck.

Cons

Team Leads do all the work. ETL's and STL's do nothing. The culture is not for people with families or who want a life outside of work. There is no acknowledgement for a job well done.

Advice to Management

If the ETL's actually worked on the salesfloor this company might meet its sales goals.

2. "OK...."

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

Minor Discount.
    No work to really do.

Cons

Schedules and high turnover during holiday.
    Does not honor time off.
    Zoning, Zoning and more Zoning.....