Target - Abusive employer, EXPECT MORE PAY LESS applies to employees too. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Abusive employer, EXPECT MORE PAY LESS applies to employees too."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member, Fitting Room Operator in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible with hours, I am required to write at least 5 words in this section and I couldn't

Cons

You are not treated like a living breathing human being. You are expected to do a monotonous, robotic job repeatedly. Retail jobs are all horrible places to work, but Target was very bad. They pay only minimum wage but expect you to know multiple job roles and do them without recognition or compensation. Many of the target stores are very large and you spend a lot of time trying to keep up with walking all over the store to do your job when you could be paid the same to work at a much smaller store and not have to run all over the place. There is not really any room to move up, you can move up one position but any higher requires a bachelors degree. Yes I said a BACHELORS degree to be a manager at Target. Seasonal times are the worst times of my life that I can remember working at anywhere. In the slow months you may only get one shift per week and it's most likely 4 hours only and you're lucky if you don't get sent home early. They base the hours they can schedule their employees off of the sales of the store as if a salesfloor rep can push sales and improve that situation. On the other hand the busiest holiday times are major hell. If you close the store you will be there until 3 AM every single night to fix the holiday shopping wreckage, even if you started your shift at say 1 PM. I can recall many times almost crying from exhaustion and not being sure that it was safe for me to drive home from it as well. It is Target's policy that you must take a 30 min break every 6 hours. I can recall numerous times where I would be forced to take a second 30 min break at 1 or 2 AM in order to allow us to stay even later and finish cleaning up the store. You are also not allowed to have less than an 8 hour block in between shifts and this was cut down right to the minute. If I closed the store one night and had to stay late but was scheduled to be in the next morning it was at exactly 8 hours from when I clocked out. Let's say I left the store at 2:23 AM, I was expected back at exactly 10:23 and was only allowed to be late on my scheduled shift if I had been there late the night before. In a bigger city travel times home and getting up and getting ready for work can cut your actual sleep time down by a lot, maybe 5 hours? That scenario also lets you in on how the scheduling goes. You NEVER have a set schedule. You submit a sheet of times when you are available to work and they "try their best" to schedule you within those times. If you don't have a large enough availability then you basically need to get another job because they just wont give you hours. The management at the store I worked at was just plain horrible and played favoritism games. You are required to have availability on at least one weekend day but some co-workers got out of it by being friends with management. Basically a job at Target is aimed at college students who will work because they have to and want something part-time.

Advice to Management

You need to get your hands dirty. Not helping your employees when you constantly encourage everyone to work as a team is just stupid and insulting. Target as a corporation should take some hints from Wal-Mart and pay their employees better. Every Target is a huge store and requiring your employees to be flexible and work multiple areas WILL be very physically tiring and should come with a pay increase. Just being cross-trained should come with a pay raise. Your policies for breaks and time between shifts are a good start but there is no human understanding. People need sleep to be healthy and that allows them to perform their job better. You should also work with employees to create shifts that they can work so they have a pattern instead of scheduling them whenever you want and you might not need a rule about 8 hours in between shifts. Figure out a better way to treat your employees for the seasonal times. Having them work 14 hours shifts is just plain abusive. You hire seasonal employees so why not hire more and split the shifts with your regular employees. REALIZE you hire HUMAN BEINGS and should treat them as so. Follow your own motto and be Fast Fun and Friendly to YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"The grass is greener anywhere else you go...I guarantee it."

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Pikesville, MD
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Pikesville, MD

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If You're Willing To Play The Game And Deal With The High School Like Environment In Terms Of Management You'll Fit Right In. The team member hot line is your best friend.

Cons

If you dont take sunday off your availability its likely you will be scheduled every weekend while leaders alternate weekends. Turnover rate is high. 5+ different leadership changes in my short tenure. None of which came from within. Warehouse like work for little pay. minimal genuine appreciation. Fueled on politics/brown nosing/favoritism. Corrupt culture/leaders. "Raises" are insulting. Reviews are suspicious and likely fraudulent/dictated by people who aren't supposed to be involved. If you dont know your rights and what you're entitled to your ignorance will be taken advantage of if you're not favored. You are hardly ever an individual. You will often be guilty by association. Executives aren't hands on which I personally believe should align with the duties of being a leader. ETL-HR very judgmental which has a trickle down effect.

Advice to Management

Completely overhaul management. Change the leader title to dictator.
    Promote from within.
    Value your employees.
    Eliminate your prejudice antics.
    Scrap the store.

2. "Better than nothing"

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other Team Members are very nice

Cons

Can't really ask for weekends off
    Must clock in and out EXACTLY or will be given a warning/write up
    Yearly reviews usually lead to a $0.11 raise (woot!)
    Forced to meet sales and credit card quotas with no added compensation

Advice to Management

Spend some time down by Electronics more often and notice who are the ones who are really trying and making a difference and show some gratification.