Target - The team members are the greatest! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"The team members are the greatest!"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Pensacola, FL
Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team members make the difference in how hard or easy the job is. The motto " speed is life" is no joke, you are practically running from the time you clock in until you clock out.

Cons

The pay is pretty good, but the raises are almost nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Ask team members if they would like to work in different areas of the store, instead of hiring outside of the company promote from within.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. "Solid first-time job, but hectic."

Former Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Jobs were simple and easy to handle. Not much to being a cashier or working at the Guest Service desk.

Cons

When it got busy, IT GOT BUSY. A lot of times there were only 1 or 2 cashiers available to handle 50 guests lining up to leave. Also, the whole "guest" thing gets very old, very quickly, especially when you had to sit and work through someone else's problems otherwise a superior would have to handle it, and that was "bad."

"If you don't mind being back in high school...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, regular raises, mostly friendly employees, fair benefits, good 401K, good perks

Cons

This is definitely a workplace that values extroverts; I was called out many times for not talking enough in meetings and not leading. Which is funny because I have been a captain of sports, dance, leader of girl scouts, tutor, stage manager, etc., which all require leadership. This has been the only place where I have been called out for my lack of leadership. The way I see it, we're in meetings with 10 other people who love to hear themselves speak, whether it is just repeating the same stuff over and over or chatting about things that don't apply to the whole group. I didn't want to be one more voice speaking just to get acknowledgement of participating.
    Caste system at work: non-exempt (hourly) vs. exempt (salaried) employees. Non-exempt get treated like worker bees - need permission to stay on the clock while doing their ceaseless mandatory "fun" outings/activities. Other times you can punch out and participate, but you'll need to try to make up your hours later.
    All meetings and no action; everyone talks and reiterates everything at meetings and you just come away with things to look into; not much actionable.
    Their "fun" activities are annoyingly frequent; especially with a growing workload; I know many people who would have to stay late to get all their work done when they were required to participate in Fast, Fun and Friendly activities.
    There are so many people touching each part of the work that do not communicate with the other, that there is a lot of redundancies and double-work. For such a huge company, their lack of communication is startling. Also, they rely way too much on other companies they work with for organizing their assets. When I worked here, it was a huge task to find the latest version of the projects that we were working on.
    With a huge number of working mothers in the company, one of the main reasons I left was their lack of flexibility with telecommuting. My job was fully able to be telecommute-friendly at a regular schedule, but they are obsessed with "face time" (which always felt more like wasted time) and being in your seat and putting on a show. I always have been able to get much more done at my new job with 50% of it being telecommuted but the work is not Target's priority. The image you project is more important that actual work at Target (which is often reflected in their choice of managers and who gets promoted - there were many incompetent managers who kept getting promoted up and up).

Advice to Management

Organize and cut out the fat. If you need to have different levels of employees (exempt vs. non-exempt) make sure that you include the non-exempt in those "fun" activities without having to sacrifice pay.
    Stop with all the "fun" activities, change to a reasonable level and not mandatory - kind of takes the fun out of it if you have to be there.