Tate & Lyle - Confusing Leadership | Glassdoor

"Confusing Leadership"

Former Employee - N/A
Former Employee - N/A

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very accommodating to work from home needs. Largest group I've ever worked with where each person is exceptional in skill set and knowledge specific to job.

Cons

I was there almost 18 months and did not get a review. I was relocated to the other end of the state, they created a position for me, then eliminated my position.

Advice to Management

New executives are not hired based on any measure of leadership skill. After almost a year, my new manager didn't even have an operations strategy in place.

Other Employee Reviews for Tate & Lyle

"Good wage for industrial labor"

Current Employee - Process Operator in Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and really you only work half the year.

Cons

For a person with a family or children in school the rotating 12 hour shift schedule makes it difficult to spend time at home with them.

""Easy going" but communication problems in the horizontal structure of the R&D team"

Former Contractor - Chemist in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Contractor - Chemist in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally easy going as far as taking time off.

Cons

Work is not planned ahead of time I would live with long hours on some days as it is the nature of the business where projects can spring up on a deadline, but the lack of communication was a key issue. The company is in a horizontal leadership structure in that everyone was a 'boss' while under a main boss in the R&D team. I was working with couple of them as my bosses and i would find out later that things behind deadline but they never communicated to their peers as to what they needed help with. I had skills in other areas, but I couldn't be used because there was some sort of rivalry going on between different sub groups.

-The pay was negligible for the work that I did. There was no policy of employee retention and even senior scientists lamented that fact that they trained people who left because there was no room for growth and/or pay in the company. Some of the people even boasted about how they fired so many people like it made them feel special.

Advice to Management

become better communicators and organizers. People magically won't know how they can help you if you don't tell them where iin the project their help would be needed.