Teach for America - 2 year teacher - lifetime experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

"2 year teacher - lifetime experience"

Current Employee - High School Math Teacher in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - High School Math Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a teacher in the Metro Atlanta region:

My corps experience helped me to gain a deeper understanding of the issues which are systematically holding back an entire class of people and connect with their struggles.

I was supported in my initiatives to make changes in my classroom, school and community.

I was trained to be an effective teacher and incredible

Cons

Incredibly hard work - don't think that you can pick up a second job (except for the summer) and parents should beware of the time commitment.

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "Great way to get started in education."

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Boston, MA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TFA gives you high quality training and access to an amazing network of educators. Use it as a springboard to do great things in ed!

Cons

TFA placements are truly challenging, and sometimes the support systems don't seem strong enough. That said, they are what you make of them!

2. "Inspiring"

Former Employee - Aed in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Aed in Miami, FL

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TFA is a great organization. The salaries are outrageous. The time off is ridiculous. The amount of time and effort they put into developing each employee is amazing. "Most" people that work there are very nice folks. Everyone has at least a BA degree, they are huge on education. It's a great place to work if you value professional development, and life-work balance, some positions allow you to work from home

Cons

Everyone is underpaid. As they are a non-profit. Most of the folks in management have no prior work experience at all. This limits their capacity to manage fairly. Management sometimes acts like a cult, meaning if you don't fit because x, y, or z, they'll find a way to make you quit. Rarely they fire anyone.

Advice to Management

Please expose your most valuable talent to real corporate life experience. Management has a very limited vision on how to handle employees that are not your typical "star" employees.