Teach for America - Hardest thing I've ever done but most rewarding! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

"Hardest thing I've ever done but most rewarding!"

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Directly impacting the lives of others... measurable success in closing the achievement gap...Teaches leadership skills, teamwork, and other skills applicable in EVERY type of job.

Cons

Experiences differ greatly based on placement schools and regions. Do some research and learn about which region is best for you. TFA is VERY data driven, so sometimes things can seem ONLY quantitative... Be prepared for A LOT of paperwork, surveys, tracking/ measurement programs, long hours, and stress.

Advice to Management

Don't ask grad school or unemployed alumni for $$$

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "Great Program!"

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Detroit, MI

I worked at Teach for America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet amazing people and it is a wonderful program...You work with great students...the professional development is amazing.....you really develop yourself as a teacher. I will say if you're not 100% dedicated to working with underprivileged children in the inner-city don't join the corps..

Cons

Not a definite job placement once you join the corps.....no work/life balance.....possible rude teachers at your placement school.....Saturday trainings.....they take ALL of your AmeriCorps money :-(

Advice to Management

Better screening of new corps members, we had WAY too many Detroit 2011 Corps members quit

2. "TFA is awesome depending on what you would like to do with the rest of your life."

Former Employee - Corp Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Corp Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to be a teacher, you will be trained and pushed to a level that a 4 year degree in education doesn't deliver nowadays. You'll also be surrounded by a lot of young and motivated people who are interested in making a chance.

Cons

There can be a lot of exclusion depending on what corp you are in.

Advice to Management

Work on being inclusive of all members. Even the ones that don't shop at J. Crew.