Teach for America - Got me in, didn't really help after that" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

"Got me in, didn't really help after that""

Former Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the experience of teaching at a low-income school and it is one that I will never forget. You will transform the lives of young adults as they enter into this constantly changing world we live in.

Cons

- TFA didn't really assist that much once I was in the classroom. All help was all frontloaded.
- Professional Development was not personalized - it was blanketed to all corps members.

Advice to Management

You need to find a better way to support corps members for their specific situations

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "TFA was one of the most challenging things I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to really make an impact on kids' lives. You're a teacher and you're there to teach a certain subject, but you do so much more than that. You could potentially change the path of someone's life, for the better. And that's an incredibly powerful experience.

Cons

It's very challenging. TFA is not just something to do as a resume builder. You have to really be invested in the work because it requires so much out of you. The work does not stop when the school day is over; it's almost as if it never stops. Needless to say, my personal life was pretty much nonexistent during that time.

Advice to Management

Since I left the corps, I think there has been more effort to diversify TFA. But I hope these efforts are continuing and growing. Diversity awareness and training of teachers on culturally sensitive issues are of monumental importance.

2. "Hardest thing I've ever done but most rewarding!"

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Directly impacting the lives of others... measurable success in closing the achievement gap...Teaches leadership skills, teamwork, and other skills applicable in EVERY type of job.

Cons

Experiences differ greatly based on placement schools and regions. Do some research and learn about which region is best for you. TFA is VERY data driven, so sometimes things can seem ONLY quantitative... Be prepared for A LOT of paperwork, surveys, tracking/ measurement programs, long hours, and stress.

Advice to Management

Don't ask grad school or unemployed alumni for $$$