Teach for America - To reach the unreachable star... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

"To reach the unreachable star..."

Current Employee - Corps Member in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Corps Member in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working at TFA it's great to be around driven and dedicated people. People that will give up nearly anything to bring about change in the public education system. In addition the staff are friendly and concerned about corps members and their success. Working with students is rewarding and can be a wonderful opportunity to give back. The biggest impact I see Teach For America making is to send release a number of individuals into our society that are well versed in the politics of education and what actually matters. These individuals will ideally become the leaders of America and make a significant impact for good.

Cons

Pay is bad, but it isn't a factor because everyone joining up understood that when they committed for two years. Benefits in Las Vegas are good and as someone with a wife and child I have managed to fulfill my needs, but I haven't made significant progress in my retirement goals--actually they have taken a step back.

The model needs to be altered slightly in order to ensure that every TFA corps member is efficient before stepping into the classroom. This job effects people differently, starting out teaching 8th grade I quickly learned that past an initial honeymoon phase students need structure, immediate discipline, and continuous feedback on performance (instant if possible) to continue moving forward. This means that a student needs to become a master teacher before stepping into the classroom. Many teachers succeed at this and many other people fail miserably. Most first year teachers fail to demonstrate growth on state based assessments. Teaching in a public school is a draining job. At it's worst a teacher feels like you have to be an entertainer to an audience that wants you dead for 6-7 hours a day. This audience demeans, destroys, and harrows up your soul on a daily basis sending many teachers to medication to maintain energy and deal with depression. At it's best you are a life changing force. You guide a team that is destined to achieve great things and you are empowering students to advocate for themselves and the changes in our society that matter. Students praise you, admire you, and treat you like a parent--especially if you teach in an area where parent is a four letter word. Very few teachers achieve this, many teachers struggle for survival, and a few get destroyed. I got destroyed my first year but am rebounding to become the ideal. The ideal is the only thing that will make a difference in closing the achievement gap. Sadly, regardless of performance this year I intend to leave the teaching field at the conclusion of year two which means if I do continue on the ideal then my impact will be limited to one year and some other social fighter will have to step in. Chances are that person will not be one of the few and proud leaders that these students need, therefore, does Teach For America truly make an impact?

Advice to Management

Before placing a teacher in the classroom they need to not just go through a five week institute but demonstrate competency in their field. If a teacher cannot do that then they should not be placed on the front lines of public education.

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, fast growing, motivated workforce. Love working in this environment for this cause with these people.

Cons

Fast paced, fast growing, motivated workforce. Sometimes equates, fast paced equals many many deadlines you find out about tomorrow when due today. Sometimes fast growing equals everything you fix is irrelevant by the time you fix it, and motivated workforce sometimes means , everyone has left as soon as they sort of know what they're doing.

2. "Rewarding, Supportive, Driven"

Former Contractor - Corps Member in Nashville, TN
    Former Contractor - Corps Member in Nashville, TN

I worked at Teach for America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Teach for America is passionate about Ed reform and the greatest thing about being a corps member is being surrounded by people who demand the best from you.

Cons

The first year teaching is exhausting and can be isolating if you are in a school by yourself.