Teach for America - Reliable organization that doesn't let down | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

"Reliable organization that doesn't let down"

I worked at Teach for America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a reliable organization with expected employee respect/benefits, and the people are invested in a great movement. It is also rewarding work as it is a service organization.

Cons

This could be a pro or a con depending on the person, but the workplace is a culture where most people work very, very hard and stress themselves out.

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great mission. You come to work every day knowing why you are there and getting to do work you are passionate about.

Cons

You are not compensated fairly for the hours and time you put in. It is challenging to get meaningful raises that reward the work and results you put in.

Advice to Management

Reward people for the work they do. We love our mission, and our students and teachers, but we need to be recognized as people to. We shouldn't feel that wanting fair compensation is a sign of our "lack of commitment" to the movement. You invest in what you value...

"Teach for America prepared me very poorly and led to a year of agony for me and my students."

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teach for America is prestigious. That's about all I can say for it that's good. I thought it was a way to help poor communities, but with its poor preparation I can no longer say that.

Cons

The preparation is dreadful. Half the time is spent on vague reflection exercises to help you internalize "core values" that have no substantial relation to the job. Then you teach for a total of about 10-20 hours, often at a very different placement. Be prepared to have to make literally everything up from day one. I recommend visiting a classroom of your grade level several times and extensively as early as possible, especially before the year starts.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the reflection exercises and sermons on the core values. They are not helpful and waste time that could be spent on actual preparation. Also, please make sure to place people as close to their grade level as possible, even if that requires last minute switches.