Teach for America - Corps Member | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Corps Member"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Corps Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great supportive community that was a great place to start a career. I loved every second of being a corps member

Cons

I had a negative relationship with my Program Director, but it was because we were both stubborn about our beliefs. It was more a personality conflict then anything

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "Invigorating, empowering, hard work for a truly good purpose"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone works hard together, in the pursuit of a common goal: Mission driven

Rapid advancement and various opportunities

Assistance with personal education

One of the most rewarding and freeing experiences available today

Cons

Tfa is constantly accepting and adjusting to feedback, which results in a lot of trial and error, must be able to adapt without complaint

Funding is dependent upon government budgets and is volatile as a result

Advice to Management

Make sure CMs know what they're getting into when accepting the role. Do not paint a rosy picture as it leads to CMs feeling "gypped".

"Work with smart, talented, and passionate people but management is bad."

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Teach for America full-time

Pros

1) You get to work with extremely smart, talented and passionate people who are all aligned on the mission.
    2) Great benefits, compensation is ok - they offer comp days and have great vacation time. Ability to work from home and have a flexible schedule.
    3) Good work environment - office is always nice and clean.
    4) Strong focus on personal and professional development - I was able to attend conferences and buy books for my own development.
    5) If you value collaboration and teamwork, this is a good place to be because it encourages cross-functional work.

Cons

1) Can be very cult-like. You need to think and speak a certain way to fit in and if you don't, it will reflect on your performance reviews.
    2) Management needs some serious work. Too many people in senior level positions with low experience. They don't really know how to "manage" others. Not empowering at all to the staff. Very controlling and micro-manage you.
    3) TFA expects you to work all the time. It says 45-50 hours a week in their employment policies, but it is more like 60 hours a week at least. The compensation does not equal the amount of work being done.
    4) They expect you to take on at least 5-10 projects at any given time, which means you don't really have the time to dedicate your best work to any of them. Basically, you will submit sub-par work because there aren't enough hours in the day.
    5) Don't be fooled by the job description. TFA expects you to work on a lot more outside projects than what is in the job description.

Advice to Management

Give your new managers some serious training around how to manage others. Most of the ones I encountered were micro-managing and very disempowering. Management also needs to respect the diverse views of it's employees and be a more inclusive environment. TFA is not inclusive at all even when it claims to be. Give more time and thought to what it means to be a "diverse & inclusive" environment.