Teach for America - Great, smart people and organization values! Working on sustainability. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

"Great, smart people and organization values! Working on sustainability."

Pros

Seriously smart, motivated, driven, curious people who want to learn and want to do good. Always quality work. Feels motivating to work amongst that.
Also, the organization as a whole is just so deeply reflective and willing (and wanting!) to learn. Mistakes are made (like in any place) but I'm so impressed by TFA's immediate desire to listen, learn, and grow.

Cons

At the end of the day, TFA has a mission to serve others. But, that non-profit status coupled with the high achievement stance and urgency for results, means lots of work (long hours, pressure, etc.) with (at least for me) inadequate pay. That's only so sustainable for so long. I think room for individual growth/promotion can also stagnate, given the now really large size of the org.

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "One of the most important jobs in the world"

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

I worked at Teach for America (More than a year)

Pros

TFA meetings tend to be very motivational when taken with a grain of salt. I appreciate that they are so passionately mission-driven; too often other companies get bogged down in the little details. Yet, they are scrupulously organized with the little details, too.

Cons

The work-life balance is awful. I also feel that the organization has lost their focus on TEACHING, instead they are distracted by LEADING in every economic sector in the nation, it seems (law, politics, health, educational admin, etc. etc.)... yet all for the mission.

Advice to Management

Remember, we TEACH for America. Teaching is a public service. It's not about you, it's about the kids.

2. "Great company"

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission-oriented, and people care about one another

Cons

Lots of discussions before making a decision.