Teach for America - Lots of work... but totally worth it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

"Lots of work... but totally worth it."

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Math Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will have really long hours and very difficult days where everything seems dire... but you will undoubtably go through a life-changing experience with your students.

Cons

Sometimes feels very corporate and disorganized. Insider culture. Working with kids and administration is tough.

Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America

1. "Campus Coordinator Internship"

Former Intern - Campus Campaign Coordinator in Hanover, NH
    Former Intern - Campus Campaign Coordinator in Hanover, NH

I worked at Teach for America as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Teach for America has a strong name brand. Every employer recognizes it and will usually comment on it. I assume that the "white man savior" image crosses all sort of disciplines. The people I generally interacted with really care about the mission and what TFA represents. They were generally very positive and mention the various benefits being associated with the organization.

Cons

I question the ethnics of Teach for America and the negative affects it has on the unions within public schools.

Advice to Management

Remember your original mission.

2. "Great, smart people and organization values! Working on sustainability."

Pros

Seriously smart, motivated, driven, curious people who want to learn and want to do good. Always quality work. Feels motivating to work amongst that.
    Also, the organization as a whole is just so deeply reflective and willing (and wanting!) to learn. Mistakes are made (like in any place) but I'm so impressed by TFA's immediate desire to listen, learn, and grow.

Cons

At the end of the day, TFA has a mission to serve others. But, that non-profit status coupled with the high achievement stance and urgency for results, means lots of work (long hours, pressure, etc.) with (at least for me) inadequate pay. That's only so sustainable for so long. I think room for individual growth/promotion can also stagnate, given the now really large size of the org.