Teavana - Corporate Leadership Is Inept - Communication is Non-Existent, Crash and Burn Type Environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

"Corporate Leadership Is Inept - Communication is Non-Existent, Crash and Burn Type Environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The Teavana brand itself is a great brand to work with - it truly resonates with consumers

Cons

-Poor senior leadership (under qualified)
-100% Sales Driven (at all costs - including sacrificing employees' needs and the brand's integrity)
-Unreasonable expectations - things like "double our growth this year" are commonplace sayings

Advice to Management

Clean out your senior leadership, especially now that you're attempting to be a pre-IPO sort of company. They are holding you back. Invest in a few great minds that understand integrated retail and online marketing.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

"It's Not for Everyone."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

-Great discounts
    -Fantastic career path through internal promotion
    -Extensive, extensive training
    -Good health benefits
    -Performance based compensation (Great, as long as you're good at what you do.)
    -Great corporate support structure
    -Very good communication from the corporate level to the store level

Cons

-Aggressive sales environment that isn't a suit to everyone's personality
    -Growing pains as it shifts from small company to big company mentality
    -Inconsistency in policy (It's getting better. Again, growing pains. Trying out new things and tossing what doesn't work)
    -Inconsistency in store and area management.

Advice to Management

Stick to the book! Don't make up your own policies or treat your location as if you own it. We're all in this together, and we all have to be consistent about it. It'll really help us all out long-term.

"Challenging at first, but gets good fast!"

Current Employee - Team Member in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Team Member in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Know that this job is not for everyone. It's not your typical "cashier" retail job -- you need to be an actual, active salesperson, selling product and tea to people all the time. If you're personable and willing to put in the effort, keep reading!

Great coworkers
    40% discount
    Great starting salary (for retail)
    Solid benefits (including a sales bonus)
    Free tea during your shift!
    Flexible hours
    Huge opportunity to advance within the company.

Management here is respectful and more than competent, so our environment atmosphere is really nice. However I understand that managers at other locations get really stressed, and that really impacts the salespeople under them. Ask the team members in the store to get a feel when you apply.

Cons

The beginning kind of sucks, I'm not gonna lie. I went through a week of intensive training to get all the product knowledge in and after that, they only gave me 10 hours the first week. However, I bumped up to 23 hours in less than a month so if you do well on sales, you get more hours quick.

Corporate is really intense
    Really pushy sales process is involved (A lot of people are scared off by it, but granted when it works, boy does it work)
    Everything is based on your sales numbers: hours, bonuses, counter time
    Trying to meet your goals gets stressful, but management tries to target your problem areas and help you improve every week

Advice to Management

Offer more sales and promotions, especially during the holidays. Even the little ones!