Teavana - Teavana is the Devil | Glassdoor

"Teavana is the Devil"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea during shifts, uniforms are not required but no jeans or flip flops, a nice discount for employees.

Cons

Hiring managers never mentioned that the job was sales based during the interview. Had I known I would have never taken the job offer in the first place. I did not find out the job was sales based until my second week of training. But, I decided to stick it out since I was almost done with training and just went with it. It turned out to be a huge waste of time. Not to mention the training is the most ridiculous training I have ever experienced. The training manager was basically teaching employees how to lie and trick customers into buying over priced tea. On to of that the pay sucked! For the amount of work that you do it really is not worth it. The management was so horrible, they would never give feedback or coach employees on how to improve. I felt lost a lot of the time.
I can't forget to mention the sales tactics. They are probably the most shady I have ever encountered. If you are a natural born hustler, this job is for you.

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually know how to manage a store. Pay your employees more and enough with the shady tactics!

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

"Fast Paced, Rushed, and Disappointing."

Former Employee - General Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - General Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Teavana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful environment. Very fast paced, you can move up quickly if you have the ability to handle the workload and the travel.

Cons

Management is quick to judgement. You are not trusted with your store, you are micromanaged with a fine tooth comb and when you don't make the sales they want, they begin finding unethical ways to boot out out of the job. They do not pay their managers a salary to make it easier to fire them if need be.

Advice to Management

Please try and understand that your store managers need more than a 80% Sales 20% Operations split. Store Managers should be handling a 50/50 workload.

"Employees to Teavana are what animals are to a circus (watch Water for Elephants if you don't get the analogy)."

Current Employee - Team Member in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Bellevue, WA

Pros

They have beautiful tea products and fun tea mixtures. They know how to market their merchandise and create the illusion of value.

Cons

Illusion is all it is. They use "bait and switch" startegies on employees and customers. On paper, they may say they're open to ideas, yet they crush the spirit (not to mention the backs) of those who question corporate decisions. Surviving as an ethical Teavana employee is almost more of an oxymoron than "an honest politician".

Advice to Management

Don't treat and pay employees like they work at an ice cream parlor yet expect them to have the maturity to sell like they're in a jewelry store.