Teavana - Better than most retail jobs. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

"Better than most retail jobs."

Current Employee - Team Lead
Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free tea while you work (this means you know your product really well and I'm assuming since you work in a tea store you love tea, so it's amazing.)
-40% off mechandise and tea
-starting wage is above minimum wage. You get a raise every year
-Great co-workers. Everyone tends to be under 35. So it's a very fun and hip environment to work in.
-Great training. You will have tea facts spilling out of your ears.
-It's super easy to get a promotion if you just do your job well.

Cons

-The company does essentially write out a 'script' for you to say to customers.I've found it doesn't really work with customers so I changed my tactics (Yes, you can do this.... gasp!) and found i sold alot more. As long as you are selling something.
-the benifit system... oh my.... it's unrealistic due to the fact most malls Teavana are in have slow traffic and those that have high traffic are over staffed.
-The sample cart. Hours of being said no to free tea samples. Who doesn't want free tea? Jeez.

Advice to Management

Loosen up on the script, the pushy sales process and loose the single person benifit system. A store benift system will work. Aka, if the store reaches it's goal we get a bonus. It's not like we can't see who isn't doing thier job. Trust us.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

"worst job of my life"

Pros

Free tea and great discount!. They were also really flexible with my school schedule but that's as far as it goes.

Cons

Management very disrespectful to employees and customers. I hated knowing I was basically conning people into giving me their money. I know what it is like to be poor and if you don't have the money, then you don't have the money. But Teavana doesn't care and wants to squeeze every penny out of the customer on products they don't need. And then I even got a talking to for instead of up-selling, trying to actually find good products that the customer can actually afford and not making enough money for a company that doesn't pay me enough (minimum wage) for the amount of stress I had to deal with.

I'm not an incompetent worker. I worked in customer service for 6 years at the same place and was amazing and got along great with my uppers and coworkers. I was laid off and teavana was the first place to offer me a job. It was a mistake jumping on the first thing to come along. Luckily I got called back at my old job. I jumped on that, quick!

This is a terrible company with no morals or human values.

Advice to Management

you will never make the top companies to work for unless you change your business model. Employees would probably sell more without the worry of getting in trouble for not meeting quota. Customers would probably be more inclined to give money to a company that doesn't disrespect them. At the sample counter, I encountered people who refused samples/to enter the store, because they said we already swindled them once and never again.

Also give employees better benefits for all the hard work they put into this company. At minimum wage, I don't need free tea or discounts on tea wear, I need my bills paid!

2. "Retail, it is what it is, all about sales"

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about tea. Many opportunities to advance if you choose to. Many locations. Nice employee benefits.

Cons

The sale process is rather rigid. Customers will not always love you, so expect complaints. It is a retail environment, and earning commission is based on your personal sales, so it is not always guaranteed and relationships between employees can get strained. High employee turn-over rate.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the sales process, it is flawed and has room for growth. Also make an attempt not to have such a high employee turnover rate.