Teavana - Diminishing returns | Glassdoor

"Diminishing returns"

I worked at Teavana part-time

Pros

Great benefits! Hourly pay.

Cons

rarely see commission, bars are raised when more commissions are met.

Advice to Management

Worry more about tea and quality of product, less about money.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

1. "The Worst Retail Job You Could EVER Have"

Former Employee - "Teaologist" (Sales Associate)
    Former Employee - "Teaologist" (Sales Associate)

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free education on tea and tea ceremonies, free training in aggressive sales, usually in more upscale malls, free tea to drink, and a significant discount on their pricey mercantile.

Cons

Where to start--

*Your job is to literally intice people into the store from the mall, lead them around the store, serving samples as you recite an elaborate sales script about the benefits of tea, with an ENORMOUS corporate pressure on selling the ridiculously overpriced cast-iron tea sets or equally overpriced tea, a feat on which you are ranked, rated and eventually fired or kept.
    *Most of the potential customers will be interested until they see the pricetags
    *Your fellow employees and even managers will compete with you and "steal" your sales by coming over and pulling your people away or even ringing up your sale under their employee ID (I saw this done dozens of times, it really happens)
    *You will be paid just barely above minimum wage, SO much less than what you're going to be earning for this company with your $500-sales
    *You might be written up and/or terminated for not selling a particular amount of something-- teapots, tea, sugar, whatever. I was.
    *You will never be able to pass a Teavana without pitying the kids working the cart outside (who, by the way, are constantly changing at all locations I frequently pass by) because of the miserable working conditions
    *You are worth absolutely NOTHING to your coworkers, your managers, your store or this company. We didn't even have a refrigerator or microwave or a single chair to sit on in our back room, we never had any perks for working there other than the discount, it's just awful.

I wouldn't let my dog apply to work at a Teavana.

Advice to Management

This store MUST be founded on the belief that the bulk of shoppers are gullible and dumb (or passive) enough to spend SO much money on this overpriced nonsense. This is the closest thing I've ever experienced to selling Miracle Elixir Snake Oil out of a cart.

That said, cut the crap. Treat your customers like you actually WANT their recurring business, like you value them, and they'll come back. They'll tell their friends. You may not make as much immediately but you'll win a customer for life, something your competitors definitely have.

Treat your employees like they matter (unless they don't, in which case keep up the good work) because treating them like tea-selling, money-raking minions is only going to lose them all the quicker.

Companies like yours are why we have unions.

2. "This job is not worth the stress and poor treatment from the company."

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea all day, 40% off all merchandise and tea, starting pay of $8/hr, the opportunity to meet fun people.

Cons

Unreachable sales expectations, very pushy in terms of customer service and sampling to people, poor management from store level and even the company level.

Advice to Management

Lower expectations for sales. It's tea, not flat screen TVs.