Teavana - Fun environment, but very pushy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

"Fun environment, but very pushy"

Current Employee - Team Member
Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea on the job
Nice management (or at least some of them)
Nice co-workers

Cons

The job is sales-based so you are forced to get tea sales or else. I can understand working around making as much money as possible but what killed me is that employees must bring in an average of $100 per hour of work (that pissed me off)! You're not guaranteed a sale from customers even when you push them to the brink. It feels like you play the customers as stupid and they see right through your tactics a lot of the times. Just make sure you're a persuasive person.

Advice to Management

Plleeease remove the employee quota and life will be so much easier for us employees!

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

"If you like bad jobs, and being treated poorly, you'll love it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Barista in North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Barista in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The free tea while you're working is nice if you ever drink it
    It will make most other jobs you have in the future seem better

Cons

Incompetent management
    Inconsistent and constantly changing schedule so you don't know when you're working unless you come in every day to check
    Terrible company values
    Taught to lie to sell people things they can't afford
    Unrealistic sales goals
    Unsanitary working environment as in barely got a C from health inspector
    Not properly compensated for work or the way your treated

Advice to Management

Starbucks should really take over and clean house with management

"Worst job I've ever had."

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea drinks on or off the clock.
    Most of the people who work here are super nice. I've visited multiple Teavanas before working with this company, and everyone has a sincere enthusiasm for the tea (not so much the tea products)
    40% discount on everything except sale items.

Cons

I'm not sure if it's like this at most Teavana locations, but I was barely trained. Normally, I'd be okay with this because you are supposed to learn a lot of things on your own in life, right? However, this company essentially requires you to know every fact and detail about all 110 of its different teas!! The training book I was given said this would be learned over a 3-week training process, but my manager at the time of my employment only taught me about our six different tea samples and our most expensive tea pots (which I was encouraged to ruthlessly force upon any of my customers) during three 3-hour training dates after which I was told to go out and sell. I did read the 200+ page training manual on my own time, but seriously, I don't think I can effectively help customers learn about our HUGE range of teas and methods of making tea in such a short amount of time.

Not only was I barely trained, but we are also expected to meet sales goals. Granted, this is a great motivator for employees to actually work here because it's pretty easy to get lost in the calming atmosphere. However, methods of meeting sales goals are distributed very unfairly. From what I've observed, the only method of meeting your sales goals for the day are if you're actually selling the tea. Most tea enthusiasts already have a way of making their tea, so showing them more pots and strainers is basically useless.

Also, this job turns typically wonderful people into catty, ruthless demons. The environment becomes less friendly and more competitive when you're expected to meet sales goals in an already unfair setting. Multiple times, I've had coworkers steal my customers (and vice versa) because it some times feels impossible to make your sales goals if you don't.

No wonder why we always have the "Now Hiring" sign up in our window....

Advice to Management

Actually train your employees instead of letting them misinform people.
    Make this a less competitive environment! I get that you're trying to motivate people, but it just feels sour working here when you're basically competing against people you actually think are kind of pleasant.
    Be MUCH more fair in your work distribution. I'm not sure if it's because I had a faulty manager, but this was a very unfair work experience....