Teavana - Sales driven, pay is okay. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

"Sales driven, pay is okay."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are generally nice, some general managers run prizes so you can get free things. The discount is pretty good. I've worked at numerous stores and found job satisfaction is highly depends on management and store. Promotion is easy, as it is expanding quickly.

Cons

VERY sales driven. They want you to be very pushy. I was very successful and ranked highly amongst the entire company each week but would still be scolded for my friendly sales tactics and not following the script precisely. Many people cannot handle the pressure.

Advice to Management

Give your workers freedom to add a personal touch that works for them.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

1. "Fast paced and training intensive"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Teavana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if you can sell successfully you will be rewarded , but be prepared to work hard and always bring your A game

Cons

High turn over rate and not a good support system for issues and questions

"Treat you like a number"

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the free tea you can drink, potential to earn a decent bonus

Cons

Company will teach you to follow an extremely aggressive sales process, Teavana believes in the ABC's of sales, always be closing. Your process starts at the sample cart where you will spend hours of your day standing and telling, not asking, people to try some tea. Once you've hooked a sap you then take your sap to the most expensive thing in the store, present it for them, then ask them to buy it. If they say no you ask why, tell the customer that you understand and then present with a prepared piece of information to overcome their objection. You repeat the overcoming objections process three times, used to be five but they had to turn it down. If they say no three times it is now considered ok to take them to the second most expensive thing in the store and try again all the way down until you have ensured that you have maximized your sap's spending. If you fail to follow this process, after having worked here for a while and learned it, the management will accuse you of insubordination.

If you are taught to follow a part of the sales process and think quietly to yourself, that seems awfully pushy. Your store manager will likely respond with, "People are idiots, you have to walk them through it" or "People don't know what they want," or "People don't care about how much money they spend." In order to deceive you into thinking it's ok to treat people this way.

Many things Teavana will teach you about it's products are lies, aimed at convincing the consumers to buy. They do not abide by state or federal laws. They require you to take a lunch break, half an hour clocked out and do not account for your lunch in scheduling. Essentially they steal a half hour of payroll from you every shift.

The problem is, customers don't want to be subjected to this awful and unpleasant process and will choose to ignore you making you an extremely stressed and ineffective sales associate.

After working here a long time and with a lot of struggles I have managed to earn good hours and pay, I could not regret this more as I desperately need to leave this company, for my mental health.

Advice to Management

Trash the sales process, it is a failure. Create a process that adapts to the customers needs and remove the heavy pressure on employee performance.