Teavana - Awesome coworkers, tough to make commission in such a low-end mall. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

"Awesome coworkers, tough to make commission in such a low-end mall."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Teavana part-time

Pros

Free tea, fun coworkers, discounts, very easy job.

Cons

High expectations, impossible goals, aggressive sales tactics.

Advice to Management

Perhaps developing a frequent buyers card would help buyers shop more frequently.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

1. "It's just tea"

Former Employee - Visual Team Leader in Christiana, DE
    Former Employee - Visual Team Leader in Christiana, DE

I worked at Teavana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tea
    40% Discount
    Free LB of Starbucks Coffee per week
    Cool stuff to take home

Cons

Constantly changing sales models and processes
    Poor business decisions made by upper management
    Pay could be better
    Decietful tactics used to increase sales

Advice to Management

Recruit, utilize, develop, and recognize talent when you see it at every level. Being a good sales person does not translate into being a good manager or vice versa. Do not give unsubstantiated health information to customers on the health benefits of the different types of tea, especially to the effect of "This will help you fight your cancer." Thankfully Starbucks now owns the company and things are changing for the better.

2. "MicroManaging into extinction."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Teavana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free tea while working, discounts at and Teavana and Starbucks. Pay is good for retail management, but this job requires far more work than most retail management. Opportunities to move up quickly.

Cons

Over the top pressure from corporate management. As soon as you have a bad month, corporate management begins to micromanage and tell you how to run your store, even though they are not there. ie. One "solution" for not hitting sales plan is to schedule more people. When this does not work because the problem is lack of traffic, you then get scolded for going over payroll.

If your personal sales are amazing, you do not have much to worry about. However, if they dwindle because you are recruiting and training a new staff (either because the solution to lack of productivity is to increase competition for hours {the term "new hungry staff" is not alien} or because you cannot instantly replace your old management they relocated to other stores) you will be sorry, and receive no breaks. How is 80% of you time to be devoted to sales when you have to open, close, train, recruit, make a schedule, write people up (usually for productivity), file items, and follow up on what you have delegated to other managers? Simple, you can either work off the clock or take a productivity hit. Teavana does not in any way encourage working off the clock, but you may feel that if you spend this hour clocked in, then your productivity will fall and you will be one step closer to losing your job.

To make this pressure worse, you are discouraged from taking off busy days, and are sometimes encouraged to miss life events. I have missed almost every birthday party for my niece and nephew because my boss would not approve taking off a Saturday or Sunday. I have also been denied a day off for weddings.

Ever since the Starbucks takeover, all operation projects have been kept secret until the very last minute (floor sets being sent only days before they are applied.) Also, one (myself included) can get fired for not meeting requirements of an action plan that they never viewed or signed.

I would have quit if I could have found a job that paid as well. The pay, however, still did not make up for all the excess stress, long hours, and lack of appreciation when a job is done well.

Advice to Management

If a store is maintaining its (somewhat high) average ticket within 1-2%, but losing a lot of transactions, it just means the mall is in a slow cycle. When other managers and trainers are sent to this store to help fix the sales process, and they come back saying the staff is well trained, this is a clear indicator that the store is being managed well and making due with what they had. All sending trainers to a well trained staff does is hurt their productivity since the transactions for the day are divided even further. This in turn demoralizes the once driven staff and makes it harder for store management to motivate

Trust me, if selling to air was possible, the team that I built would have been on top of the company.

Keep managing this way, and you will have to bribe people to work for you. Using up good employees until they burn out is a great way to run your company into the ground, which I'm pretty sure is already happening. Otherwise, this whole "Back to the Basics" (of being overbearing, push jerks) initiative would not be happening