Teavana - Not even a good job for college students | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

"Not even a good job for college students"

Former Employee - Teaologist in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Teaologist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tea while at work
Co-workers tend to be really awesome (you'll grow closer from being put through this environment)

Cons

The environment is incredibly unhealthy. My manager constantly worked on fear tactics to get our team to work harder while he barely worked all day. Many of us were threatened to be fired for having low sales per hour even though the mall was clearly going through periods of low foot traffic (management doesn't care at all). The hours are abysmal unless you're having a good sales week which is completely unfair because one bad week can set you back for an incredibly long time. There is also clear favoritism shown in the store where certain employees get to sit around and talk while the rest of us are berated. I'm sure not all of the stores are like this because we have had people who transferred to my store and wound up quitting but they're honestly not too much better.
Another huge disadvantage to work here is the lack of communication. Many times, our employees wold not find out their schedules until the Monday of that week! We would also have sales promotions that half of the store just wouldn't even know about.

Advice to Management

The entire system behind Teavana is simply not well thought out. You want to be one of the top employers to work for yet you abuse your employees. This only hurts you in the long run because the knowledge behind these teas takes time so the high turnover rate you currently have only leaves lesser informed employees. What many of the people in management positions exhibit is full on bullying. I thought that the Starbucks merger would start to make the company more customer service oriented but after 7 months without any change I decided it was time for me to leave.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

"Rewarding mgmt position overall; improved after Starbucks merger, still dissatisfied and slightly disenfranchised."

I have been working at Teavana full-time

Pros

Free cups of delicious, amazing, exotic tea. Amazing colleagues. Some exceptional leadership in places. Better and clearer company direction after the merger. My guess is that new employees brought into the mgmt fold this year will acclimate to the new climate and experience a stronger level of trust as they are brought up in the newer structures. A bright future with Starbucks at the helm.

Cons

For years unnecessary and at times debilitating stress, pressure, and fear generated by certain management. 1 Regional in particular who utilized fear tactics, actual bullying, and unsavory behavior (unintentional or otherwise) to, unfortunately, great success. Many years of little to no development at the AM level (this could be easily changed & improved). Day to day dev. of AM position via RD mentorship is still minimal (RDs have no time to, really) - there is so much going on at the top after the merger, but this area of dev. is KEY to the steering of the ship; many colleagues are on "action plans" or have already left the company, most who trended positive comps year after year until very recently. Hard to fully appreciate the possibility that this is the best course of action, feels reactionary vs pro-active.

Advice to Management

More trust and development of GMs (getting better for GMs) and AMs, new and tenured alike. Worth it, from a pure dollars and cents standpoint. If it seems to upper management that the development of the AMs is on point, I recommend reexamining the approach. There are sig. gaps, hindering execution & comps for many in the field. Pure accountability structures alone (i.e. on paper action plans and counsels) are shortsighted at the least.

"Sales sales sales"

Pros

Free tea and great training info

Cons

Extremely high pressure sales. Underpaid. Always struggling to meet payroll.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for the people making tons of Money for you