Teavana - High pressure job, little compensation, but nice people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

"High pressure job, little compensation, but nice people"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tea during your whole shift, as everyone says and good discounts. Also you get a lot of good direct sales experiences, even if they are not the best methods. You will get over your insecurities quickly at this job. Everyone I worked with was extremely nice and energetic, which is the main reason I worked there for so long. It is possible to really help bring joy to others working there.

Cons

Insane things are expected of you such as walking every customer around the floor and show them everything in the store, and bothering customers by having to follow them. My manager would tell customers they were going to buy certain items, without asking. The managers expect teavana to become your life, which is another con. I saw a girl get talked out of maternity leave, and another scheduled every time she had class to see if she cared about teavana more.

Advice to Management

Chill out a bit, I saw multiple customers swear to never come back because the other sales associates were too aggressive (which is how we were trained). I refused to do so and almost got fired many times, but actually had great sales numbers. Some people came back to see me and told me they only wanted to work with me because I was always relaxed and nice.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

1. "A bumpy start"

Pros

Free tea, 30% discount. They provide a comprehensive training booklet for new-hires. Everyone has smiles and loves their jobs. The quality of teas is fantastic.

Cons

Highly pushy sales environment, your hours are based directly on your sales - even in your training period. High turnover. My boss has spoken of "getting people to quit rather than firing them". People hate the company's methods of sales- it's not about the quality of the product, but the profit; like any company but moreso with starbucksvana. They schedule you out of your availability and don't tell you things until you do it wrong.

Advice to Management

Get your head on, and stop micromanaging. Don't put items in the manuals that are false. BE ACCURATE. If you're not accurate, then change the thing. Make it a more honest place to work, and people might actually want to drop hundreds on your teas.

"Not too bad, but..."

Current Employee - Seasonal B*tch in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal B*tch in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% discount for both Starbucks and Teavana. Wonderful co-workers, but that isn't Teavana's doing.

Cons

Extremely sales driven: it isn't about the tea, it isn't about any of the products, its about sheer profit. They entire "fostering health and wellness" and "cultivating a tranquil atmosphere" is total crap.

In the manual that you must read upon getting hired, they specifically outline the need to create a calm atmosphere...
    ..Then they place 2 people on tea counter with one cash, two people at the tea bar for barista duty, and 4 people on the floor who have to stay in small "zones" for 15 minutes, unable to deviate from these zones, passing customers through like hot potatoes. This creates an extremely busy, flounderous atmosphere packed with long wait times.

I've had customers come up to me and say, "I feel like I'm being herded around like cattle.."
    That is NOT okay.

I've watched customers leave because of the extremely long lines and upper management's complete disinterest in shelling out for an additional cash machine (not to mention the current ones frequently crash, sometimes for hours at a time).

And back on the manual, it actually tells you which teas are your favourite (hint: the most expensive ones), which products are your favourite, and things like that. Lolwat? Are you serious?

Its a really uncomfortable environment in those terms. Don't even get me started on the Regional manager appearing to hawkeye everyone and crack the whip...eeeek

Advice to Management

Back off on the sales driven environment. Its extremely intimidating. Also, nobody is buying your Cast Iron charade. It takes 10 seconds of googling to find out how false those items are. Not to mention, we have several stores in our mall that offer the same Cast Iron pots for well under $50, where you sell them for $200.