Tech Data - If you cannot find a job anywhere else, this should be your last resort. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Tech Data

"If you cannot find a job anywhere else, this should be your last resort."

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Clearwater, FL
Current Employee - Product Marketing in Clearwater, FL

Pros

If you're right out of college it's a half way decent starting point; just one notch above an unpaid internship. Make sure you fluff up your resume since other companies in the area also view Tech Data as a entry level company. Other perks you can get from working in sales or marketing are some free products, event tickets and shirts. It is a paycheck albeit on the low end of a salary range for comparable positions at other companies.

Cons

There are many downsides to the company: low pay, unqualified management who have no sense of the industry or business in general for that matter. The only way Tech Data knows how to make money is to bilk their vendors out of marketing dollars by overcharging for activities, but then not following through with them. They embelish reports to make business look better than it is. I've been working in corporate America for over 20 years and this is the first company that I ever heard the phrase "throw you under the bus", and the only place I've ever experienced it. I think they pretty much coined the phrase. Mangement is so lacking in skills the only way they can make themselves seem taller is by cutting off the heads of their subordinates. They don't lead by example and many times there are feuds between director and director, manager and manager, etc. It sets the tone for the entire company. They are their own problem and it's keeping them from growing business.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and look to your competitors on how to operate better.

Other Employee Reviews for Tech Data

"Tech Data-It's a job."

Current Employee - Salesperson in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Clearwater, FL

Pros

It is a job and the paycheck never bounces. Some nice cuties working in the office. Not a bad place to start your career but it doesn't end here.… Covered Parking? Health Insurance. If you are a slacker you will love it here.

Cons

It is not a challenging environment what so ever. Senior MGT is disconnected from the worker bees. Long boring days in cubicle hell. Tech Data is a better place for talkers than for doers. .Very little in the way of growth or exciting new opportunities. Most people here hate coming into work and it just helps to create a negative environment in general.

Advice to Management

Shake things up and reinvigorate this place. Get rid of the dead wood

"Stable, steady, and productive"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Clearwater, FL

Pros

Job security is very high for IT sector, working environment is fair and friendly. My supervisory chain is highly qualified and values my contributions. My particular job is one that gives me great personal satisfaction, and I take pride in doing my job well for the benefit of my customers and the company. I have the autonomy to structure my day and working methodology to suit my skill set. My management is very accommodating of my needs in terms of work/life balance; I keep a very regular schedule, and I do not encounter difficulties when I need time off. The corporate culture is diverse, and ethically-based.

Cons

Jobs at Tech Data can be stressful, primarily due to the razor-thin margins of this industry (wholesale IT distribution); this forces the company to be conservative and thoughtful about any significant new undertakings, and staffing is thin for the workload; market and economic pressures are more difficult to weather in an industry of <2% operating income.

Advice to Management

I think that many people that work at Tech Data may not realize what it's like "out there", in that other corporate cultures are significantly more rigid and arbitrary; and people don't realize how well they have it until they leave. Grass is greener, and all that. This is in evidence due to the number of people who leave, ostensibly for other opportunities, but then return to Tech Data when they discover that the real world is not very forgiving. I think that better communication about our competition, and about how Tech Data compares in terms of working enviornment compared to other employers might help mitigate any misperceptions.