TechTarget - The experience is what you make of it (and who you work with) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TechTarget

"The experience is what you make of it (and who you work with)"

Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

Pros

- I have had a fantastic experience at TechTarget. I've been blessed with awesome coworkers, fantastic managers and a lot of room to grow. In 2.5 years, I had two promotions. This is definitely a reap-what-you-sow kind of place.
- The work/life balance is so great. Having previously worked at a several newspapers, it's just unreal. I can take off early to go to a night class, start later to go to yoga, work from home most days. As long as you get your work done on time and do it well, you get a lot of latitude.
- Underperformers are shown the door. Some people might cite this as a con, but for those of us who work hard and care about our jobs, it's a relief. I think people are definitely supported if they're struggling, but those who take advantage of the system don't stay very long. I've worked in places where it seemed impossible to get fired, and the result is there's a lot of dead weight. I don't see that here.
- Although there are a number of entry-level positions, I disagree that this is just "a good place to get your feet wet." I think it's feasible to make a career here.
- It's a relief not to have to worry about how many personal days I've used if I need to take the day off for something.
- The bagels, etc., are a nice touch. The company also runs quarterly "innovation awards," giving away iPads for simple ideas that save/make money for the company.

Cons

- Pay isn't that great. A competitor recently reached out to me about an open position, offering between $20-30k more than what I currently make. I know it sounds nuts to shrug that off, but I'm pretty happy here. I made the mistake once of taking a job solely for the pay (and turned the blinders on the bad environment). Pay isn't everything.
- You do work hard. But if you come from the news/publishing world, this shouldn't be a wake-up call or anything. I actually thought it was less intense than previous jobs. That said, I still burn the midnight oil from at least once a week.
- If you have no experience in technology, there is a steep learning curve. It can be frustrating, and TechTarget doesn't offer much by way of education there.
- The content is pretty dull, which can weigh down on you after a while. Try as I might, I can't be passionate about servers and software.
- As with ANY job at a midsized to large company, your experience will strongly depend on your group/manager. I'm lucky to work with a really great bunch. I have heard of some less-than-savory experiences.

Advice to Management

Offer more competitive wages! Please!

Other Employee Reviews for TechTarget

1. "Great people and atmosphere - compensation not good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

Great people, relaxed work environment, open leave policy, free bagels on Wed, free coffee, tea water and sodas

Cons

The salaries are really low compared to the amount of work you put in, open leave policy works adversly as people feel guilty for taking time off

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more or you will continue to have high turnover

"Great place to work - depending on who manages you...."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Newton, MA

Pros

Best learning experience, atmosphere, collaboration, organization, benefits, knowledge aquired

Cons

Terrible compensation, terrible management style in one particular group where the manager would treat their subordinates like crap

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, re-evaluate certain unprofessional managers who may produce results but turnover employees too soon and too often