TeleCommunication Systems - Engineer's Dream | Glassdoor

"Engineer's Dream"

Current Employee - 911 Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - 911 Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Complex and challenging - my dream come true! Planning is so much better than the old days. I'm glad for the new management and like where we are going. We have a strategy that is communicated. There is a genuine concern to produce quality and exceed customer demands. Sometimes these sites are overblown with negativity so I'm going to put the good story out there.

Cons

The work day is long and we have so much going on that it's fun, but tiring, too.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Other Employee Reviews for TeleCommunication Systems

"So much opportunity for improvement is squelched by lack of engagement."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

* Flexible Schedule
    * Some serious talent (lies mostly dormant ) trying to do right / right thing
    * Market position of the company has potential for domination
    * Learning opportunities (if you like to learn "on the job")
    * Decent to good pay

Cons

* Very limited information sharing across groups - heavily reinforced silos
    * LOTS of people have "come of age" in the company and don't know any better - need fresh blood with wider exposure, knowledge, and skills.
    * Leadership vision and direction non-existent - no stake in the sand.
    * Focus is on "compliance" not business value - "standards" over the customer or even our own business needs.
    * FUD permeates every decision - extremely risk averse culture, little action/ability to "investigate" Fear and Uncertainty.
    * The workforce is frozen in old technology and legacy processes traceable to lack of decision making capabilities anywhere above line-level managers.
    * "Business decisions" are made by gut feel, lack support, and are traceable to financial concerns of the "right now" - no future-think, no consideration for employee growth, or roadmaps.
    * No transparency from the very top down - decisions made behind closed doors without explanation.
    * Many repeated and overlapping processes and tools even within departments.
    ...and it's getting worse.

Advice to Management

Get some vision, Trust the talented minds and let them be creative, Remove roadblocks (don't create them), and focus on business value rather than playing "defense". Hire some real business development professionals and you *could...go...all...the...way*

2. "I like this place"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work here is more complex that imaginable for a 911 service. Many problems are technically difficult to solve and I like that. The benefits are pretty good compared to similar companies I have worked in. The company needed to change and my Sr. Management is focused on that. Many weak players have left - some complained on this website I think. We are adding products and services that focus on increasing revenue and keeping jobs secure in this crazy economy. We seem to have a vision that is communicated to everyone in the SB unit. The technical teams have been weeded down to the strong and those who like to work as a team. HR cares about the employees and gets involved.

Cons

The work is not easy so it is not for everyone. Schedules are driven by customers so sometimes the hours are long. I disliked the number of weak team mates, but most have left or been asked to leave, I guess. The processes take too long for buying necessary stuff.

Advice to Management

Keep going. Change is good.