Teledyne Brown Engineering - OK | Glassdoor

"OK"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Huntsville, AL
Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Teledyne Brown Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They don't really bother you.

Cons

Their overhead is high due to managements 7 figure salaries, vacation sucks.

Advice to Management

Realize that you provide no added value and you may win the next ESSSA.

Other Employee Reviews for Teledyne Brown Engineering

"TBE - "bleh" to OK. TSI - The Best Place to Work, Ever!!!"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Huntsville, AL

Pros

I worked both for Teledyne Brown (TBE) and its subsidiary, Teledyne Solutions (TSI).
    Both companies had flex-time (useful with respect to family needs/emergencies). Both companies worked on challenging projects that tested my analytical/problem solving skills.
    Both companies had good lower-to-middle management who were real mentors and who took an active interest in employees' professional and personal growth. At TSI, that attitude stretched all the way into upper management.
    At TSI, we worked on especially challenging projects, and my coworkers there displayed superb technical competence. I was provided with every tool necessary to do my job - if I asked for it (needed or wanted it), I got it. Period. We were also a very tight-knit family, there.
    That was also true at TBE, but at TBE it very much depended upon which project you were working on as to whether or not you got the resources you needed or wanted.
    TBE also has a technical library, technical brown-bag seminars, and (at least when I was there) tuition ASSISTANCE (not reimbursement!!!) for college. I know of no other defense contractors in town who do that. None.
    I give the company a higher rating solely because of TSI (there isn't a profile for it on this site).

Cons

While TSI provided me the tools I needed, TBE wasn't always that great about it. But, again, it depended entirely on which project you were working on. On some projects, it was great. On others, not. In one case, I was asked (as in, do it, or there goes your job) to get software to run on the wrong operating system. I had to do alot of "hacking" (ahem) of the code. Particularly with NASA work, TBE seems to try to do things on the cheap a little too often.
    There's also alot of anecdotes floating around about management's duplicity with respect to employees and how they are treated. While I experienced very little of that, myself (I think maybe on one occasion with one particular project manager), there are far too many anecdotes floating around from far too many trusted sources for it to be coincidence. Namely, telling employees their jobs are secure, and then quietly laying them off weeks later. Or, laying people off just prior to retirement.
    It seems to be far less frequent than at a company like, say, SAIC. It's really bad for morale.
    I have absolutely no complaints about TSI. They are the best!!!

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. The whole "don't quit 'till we fire you" thing isn't what TBE should be all about, and is a hallmark of the larger and more exploitative companies (Boeing, Raytheon, SAIC, and heck, let's throw in Intergraph).

"TBE is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development

Pros

TBE has a great reputation and a storied history in the aerospace and defense industry. Most employees are hardworking and friendly.

Cons

The facility in Huntsville is old. Management is complicated by a high number of family members working there and bias toward a declining NASA market