Teledyne Technologies - TBE - "bleh" to OK. TSI - The Best Place to Work, Ever!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teledyne Technologies

"TBE - "bleh" to OK. TSI - The Best Place to Work, Ever!!!"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Huntsville, AL
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Huntsville, AL

Pros

I worked both for Teledyne Brown (TBE) and its subsidiary, Teledyne Solutions (TSI).
Both companies had flex-time (useful with respect to family needs/emergencies). Both companies worked on challenging projects that tested my analytical/problem solving skills.
Both companies had good lower-to-middle management who were real mentors and who took an active interest in employees' professional and personal growth. At TSI, that attitude stretched all the way into upper management.
At TSI, we worked on especially challenging projects, and my coworkers there displayed superb technical competence. I was provided with every tool necessary to do my job - if I asked for it (needed or wanted it), I got it. Period. We were also a very tight-knit family, there.
That was also true at TBE, but at TBE it very much depended upon which project you were working on as to whether or not you got the resources you needed or wanted.
TBE also has a technical library, technical brown-bag seminars, and (at least when I was there) tuition ASSISTANCE (not reimbursement!!!) for college. I know of no other defense contractors in town who do that. None.
I give the company a higher rating solely because of TSI (there isn't a profile for it on this site).

Cons

While TSI provided me the tools I needed, TBE wasn't always that great about it. But, again, it depended entirely on which project you were working on. On some projects, it was great. On others, not. In one case, I was asked (as in, do it, or there goes your job) to get software to run on the wrong operating system. I had to do alot of "hacking" (ahem) of the code. Particularly with NASA work, TBE seems to try to do things on the cheap a little too often.
There's also alot of anecdotes floating around about management's duplicity with respect to employees and how they are treated. While I experienced very little of that, myself (I think maybe on one occasion with one particular project manager), there are far too many anecdotes floating around from far too many trusted sources for it to be coincidence. Namely, telling employees their jobs are secure, and then quietly laying them off weeks later. Or, laying people off just prior to retirement.
It seems to be far less frequent than at a company like, say, SAIC. It's really bad for morale.
I have absolutely no complaints about TSI. They are the best!!!

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. The whole "don't quit 'till we fire you" thing isn't what TBE should be all about, and is a hallmark of the larger and more exploitative companies (Boeing, Raytheon, SAIC, and heck, let's throw in Intergraph).

Other Employee Reviews for Teledyne Technologies

"Culture shock"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Impulse has great benefits, the industry isn't suffering too severely from the economy, most everyone is really friendly and respectful of peers.

Cons

Favoritism inevitably exists, double standards exist among employees, can have unfair and unrealistic expectations from new employees, management will act as if they know everything that's going on and pin you in the corner.

"35000"

Current Employee - Technician in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Technician in Daytona Beach, FL

Pros

The health benefits currently offered by the company I would rate as good. The company deals in supply products in the oil and gas industry, which isn't going anywhere as long as we depend on fossil fuels.

Cons

Lack of opportunities for people to move within the company, Company does not recoginize personal time, expected to work weekends at least twice a month if not more. Gives little or no recognition to employees for doing a good job ( company has had record revenue last several years.

Advice to Management

I have worked with several world class companies in the past and management with this company does not come close. I think current management could use training on how to communicate better with employees. They currently display a my way ,or the highway attitude, Most people do not respond well to this type of leadership.