Ten Thousand Villages - Ten Thousand Villages works for a good cause. They do the best they can for a non-profit organization. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ten Thousand Villages

"Ten Thousand Villages works for a good cause. They do the best they can for a non-profit organization."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a good cause, good pay

Cons

A lot of responsibility for the wage. Since the company is very understaffed, close to impossible to switch hours with someone else, and often there isn't enough time to do everything necessary.

Other Employee Reviews for Ten Thousand Villages

1. "Amazing cause, wonderful people"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I served in a part-time role for 3.5 years at the Pasadena, CA store. I worked with wonderful people and passionate customers.

-- Incredible volunteers, supportive community, passionately engaged in fair trade
    -- Social justice mission
    -- Community orientated retail shopping
    -- Wonderful management by Sam Bill and Becca Pratt
    -- Supportive board of directors
    -- Incredible customers who are engaged with the mission and eager to learn more about fair trade
    I love that the store creates a sense of community where people feel like they belong. I loved working here!

Cons

-- Board engagement was sometime lacking, but there are some highly capable people on the board. The board could use some new energy and new people to bring ideas to the table.
    -- I wasn't always able to find roles for every volunteer who came to us. This may have been my fault, or a specific issue with the narrow role of sales associate that many stores are trying to fill for their volunteer roles.

Advice to Management

-- Continue to foster a welcoming, community-centric environment where people are encouraged to learn and love fair trade.
    -- Engage new leadership for the board

2. "Caring, Compassionate Nonprofit with Great People!"

Former Intern - , Social Media & Marketing in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - , Social Media & Marketing in Austin, TX

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, great people. Very positive atmosphere, easy to promote store goods when talented artists have created the items for sale, and you are helping to make their lives sustainable in a third-world country.

Cons

Things constantly changing, hard to keep up with things when only there two times per month to volunteer.