Employee Review

Former Employee

Keep away from Teradata Hyderabad

Jul 27, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good thing about Teradata - the pay is good and competetive. There are tremendous opportunities to learn, but that solely depends on your manager to provide access to the item you want to learn, and there are not many good leaders left. Couple of them are there, but they cant do much.

Cons

Now, some reality. The people who come to this website is mainly of two types. Either 1) You got a call for interview from Teradata 2) You got an offer from Teradata and want to check how the company is before joining. Well, there is a third type, mostly the insiders who want to see how the reviews are for this company. If you are from either of type 1 or 2, my review might help you with your decision. If you are of third type, you might be disappointed. Again, the review is for Teradata India, Hyderabad office only. The company was good. Yes, it WAS good. Not anymore. There are currently a bunch of leaders, who are proud about their "achievements", knows very well how to say YES BOSS. The more you say it, the more you are loved by the management. If any one wants to provide a honest opinion, they are shown the door. It was not like this when I was working there. There were bunch of good, talented, trend setting people. As a part of reduction in force, they let to majority of them (that is in USA). Teradata was branded as a "Leader in Data Warehousing". Now they have changed their song as "Leader in Big data analytics". Well. Lesser said is better about this. A company which had struggle selling one of its Marketing division, which they acquired for a huge sum, and had to settle for peanuts during its sale, tells that it does not have a great vision when it comes to their investments and plans. Let us come back to Teradata India. Let us do a guesswork. If a company advertises a walkin interview for 4-5 years experienced developers, how many would you think would turn up ? Most of you would have thought 50+. Here it used to be 10 or 15. The number of interviewers used to be more than the number of candidates. The candidates talk to their friends, friend of friends etc to know how the company is. If you are of type 2 which I mentioned above, check with your friends about the company, do proper research and then accept the offer. One more question - Who will send a team of 15 - 20 people all around India to recruit people ? And why ? Even a layman can guess - The company who is not able to get the resources locally will go to a new place where the interviewees might not know the inside story of the company, and may come and join them. Thinking point - Was there no resources available in Hyderabad ? Are the resources in Hyderabad dumb that they cannot clear the interviews ? There are companies like Google, FB, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple who are setting up their offices in Hyderabad. If they think they cannot get good resources, would these stalwarts set up offices in Hyderabad ? If there is a resource crunch, wouldnt they move to Bangalore or some place where they think resources are available. Now, time for another question: If these top notch companies can get people, why does Teradata run around the globe to recruit people. No guesswork required. Answer: Nobody wants to join them, because that is their reputation. People are not stupid, they talk to their friends, know about the company and then make a decision. This decision will decide at least two years of their career. They want to spend it in a company which is good to work at, and has a lot of good mentors and insiprational leaders, who can take them to the next level. Good old days, there were good people, there were excellent people. There were people who were capable of running the show single handedly, there were people who use to own the responsibilities of the products they were working on, there were people who use to give their 200% every single day for more than 10 years, there used to be people who has sacrificed their personal schedules to make this company where it was before two years (let us not talk about the last year or two), there were managers who worked hand in hand with team members, there were managers who promoted enthusiasm among team members, there were managers who were true leaders and helped in the growth of the individual, there were team members who enjoyed coming to office every day, and last but not the least, there was the great management who wanted to do good to the employees, there was this management who was willing to share the employees happiness and grief, there was this CEO who spent days of ordeal, just to make sure that his employee is taken good care of, there were leaders who were technical inspiration to the team members. The management changed, they wanted to bring US work culture to India, did not care about the employees who took this company to where it was two years before, they promoted the people who should not be promoted, they pressurised the key people who were responsible for making this a great company, insulted them in front of limited audience, and made them quit, the awards a(we)re given to totally undeserving people, promotions are handed over gratiously to people who say YES BOSS even if they show no progress in their activities, the deserving candidates are over looked, Ego scaterred all over the management. If you want to survive, learn to say yes boss and satisfy the ego of your boss. The new manager have mouth full of lies, abuses the team members in front of others, tells that the work being done is all crap, and they should learn the latest technologies, the F word is used a lot in team meetings, the good and honest people who was not supportive and spokeup were fired, and the expectation is that the team members to say that the managers have done a great job. And, more new managers are added, who are the references of the existing managers. And, the old bench warming managers who were there from day one, already learnt the trick of the only way of surviving - you know what I mean. If they dont, they might have to lose their job, and if they go for interviews to find a new job, they might not get a job anywhere else because the domain which they are working, is outdated and the market requires people who are adaptable and can grow the team members, and not yes bossers. So, they wont and cant go out, because they are not wanted. The atmosphere inside the company is not healthy. You will not hear one person saying that he is happy, well of course the exceptions are "yes bossers". If you are able to get a honest opinion from the people working in different projects, they would tell that they are searching for jobs outside. The moment you upload the resume in a job portal, they know, and start targetting you. After I quit from Teradata, I have lot of friends there still, and I interact with them every now and then, they are good and honest friends, and I listen to their rants, feel pity for them, and consider myself lucky to have quit at the right time before I had to go through this ordeal. If you have read through my entire post, and ready to settle down at Teradata India because of pros I mentioned, good luck. Stay there for couple of years, learn something which is going to be useful for your career, and move on. I did, and I am happy.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great

Jul 9, 2021 - Presales Engineer in Nyack, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a Great place to work

Cons

Not so bad after first few months

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Welcome to Teradise

Jul 2, 2021 - Security Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’m blessed to be on a really strong team. We can solve any problem that gets presented to us, as long as the IT Directors stay out the way and stop slowing everyone down.

Cons

I’ve noticed there are a few departments that have real entitlement issues, which negatively impact the rest of the company and holds the enterprise back from being what we can be. However, I’m not going to say who it is (but it rhymes with Eye Tee). I’ve seen many dumb, and I mean really dumb decisions made, not because they believe them to be the right decisions, but because it spites the departments that they have problems with. They remind me of teenage girls in middle school.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Teradata.