Teradata - Good working Environment but low pay. Must reward high achievers to keep them. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teradata

"Good working Environment but low pay. Must reward high achievers to keep them."

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Teradata full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Top heavy, great place to work on you later years

Cons

Low Pay, extremely hard to get promoted. Small annual salary adjustments. Raises to one individual must be offset by other team members' merit increase.

Advice to Management

Need new blood, promote people whithin.

Other Employee Reviews for Teradata

"The potential of a nuclear missile, but with no guidance system onboard..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Teradata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, interesting projects depending on your position which can lead to expanding your skill set. Opportunity to move "around", just not up. Benefits are reasonable.

Cons

Upper management doesn't seem to realize that they are supposed to provide a clear market direction and vision of the product. They try to make technical decisions without including input from engineering which has caused priorities to shift constantly. Marketing is really the group running things, and inexplicably they have developed a complete mistrust of engineering. Completely dysfunctional.

No money, or so we're always told. Teradata used to be part of NCR, and it's painfully obvious that our accounting team is still running the ship like its old blue-chip parent. We never invest in our equipment or our people. Salaries are low to average.

Every year we are promised training and every year it gets cut from the budget. The best employees get the idea after a while and then leave.

Which brings us to retention. We don't have any of that here. We lose our best people to companies that are willing to pay and train.

Like I said, you can move around but not up. Promotion is almost unheard of, they encourage you to apply for jobs in other groups, but that doesn't imply you will be making more money.

Advice to Management

To upper management: Get your head out of the day-to-day operations (that's for middle management to deal with) and give us a clear and concise vision for the future. Set the target out there and then keep beating the drum. Fund, fund, fund.

To middle management: Fight for the resources to get the job done well, not just done. Stop playing politics! Lets make the best of it for the company as a whole. Train, pay, and retain your most valuable employees. You are supposed to weed and feed, not let it go to seed.

"energizing, professional, and lot of opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Teradata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and lot of perks if involved on traveling engagements. Great training program to learn new skills or refined existing ones.

Cons

The maximum PTO at any given time is pretty low at 80 hrs.