Teradata - Has been a great place to work but beware of the future | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Teradata

"Has been a great place to work but beware of the future"

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Ohio, IL
Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Ohio, IL

Pros

The "virtual" aspect of many of the job functions. The balance between work and homelife is managed very well in that we are mostly treated as professionals and management knows we'll get the work done. Perhaps not between the hours of 9-5, but it will get done. This, hoiwever, does have a downside in that we are expected to work weekends and evenings during crunch time if necessary. The flip side of those situations allow for downtime when a project is not under a crunch situation. So again, the balance is there and I'm more than happy with the resulting work environment.

Cons

The sales environment....i.e. a quarter by quarter mentality with many decisions being made with short term thinking. Also I'd have to say another downside is the lack of focus of sales management with respect to new accounts. I've seen multiple sales reps get burned out over many years continually trying to break into an account. How many times can you bang your head against the wall before you say I've bled enough? I think there is an arrogance (bordering on insane) when it comes to the desire to land a new account. If anyone ever did the math on what was spent in the attempt to get these accounts to buy, we'd quickly move on to other, more realistic sales opportunities.

Advice to Management

Think longer term and know when to back away from a sales opportunity.

Other Employee Reviews for Teradata

1. "Good company, increasingly tough industry"

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Dayton, OH

Pros

Compensation, job satisfaction, cutting edge technology. Its a great place to learn new industries and network with IT personnel at major Fortune 1000 companies. The Teradata community of customers and employees is a very tight knit group, which is usually a good thing.

Cons

Too much travel, too many meetings, not enough organized reusable intellectual property to be sold and implemented. Mid level management is usually very strong, depending on the industry. The work force is quite senior, but efforts are being made to bring in younger team members and grow the organization from the bottom up.

Advice to Management

Need to be more attuned to what is happening in the marketplace. Need to respond faster with more solutions, and advertise/market more aggressively.

2. "Nothing exciting to see here, move along."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

They provide plenty of opportunities to try something new. When needed the schedule is very flexible.

Cons

Recently there are too many cutbacks as far as company spending goes. We recently spun off from NCR and we were supposed to be the new energized and young Teradata. Haven't seen it happen yet.

Advice to Management

Recognize people as an asset.