Terex - Terex AWP (Genie Ind) NPD Engineering | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Compared to most accounting jobs the work/life balance is excellent, and there is no "busy season"" (in 29 reviews)

• "Great people -- no "prima donnas"" (in 23 reviews)

Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Terex AWP (Genie Ind) NPD Engineering"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

OK work-life balance.

You get to work on wide range of engineering aspects of a design if you are in new product development, and are interested and push to do so. As you climb, you can manage your boss enough to focus on your main areas of interest (but you need to be stubborn about it). The engineers that follow their interest here always find a way to off-load what they don't want to do on someone 'below' them... I'm sure that's not unique to Terex.

CEO Garrison seems to be making positive changes, taking realistic long view.

Working here you avoid the pitfalls of market-rate pay and high bonuses offered for similar positions at nearby companies… where would you spend the money anyway?

Career opportunities... if you go management route. Not so much for staying technical.

Cons

Antiquated engineering change management systems. Poor engineering policies, procedures, and controls. Little or no /real/ training - sink or swim on-boarding... which leads to "cowboys". Many pockets of Engineering Dept are populated by “cowboys” or engineers who are just ticking boxes; quantity over quality (maybe this is a 'pro' for you?). Operations/manufacturing is often resistant to change, think they are the real 'customers', over the companies /actual/ customers. 'Servant Leadership' (company tenant) is complete and utter BS -- you get ahead here by ticking boxes for your manager, not by helping those below you or those affected by your work. People often don't worry too much about people down-stream of their decisions, just as long as they are pleasant and smile they can do pretty much what they want. Just ship it!

Ramping up engineering employment now, which absolutely means we are about to begin 'right-sizing' people within 6 months.

Advice to Management

Live up to “Servant Leadership” tenant… I don’t believe you will though. Also, I hope behind closed doors you are getting 'more real' about global trade-war issues about to hit us hard than you have been publicly!

Terex Response

Sep 18, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. First, we are glad to hear that you have noticed positive changes occurring as a result of our strategy introduced by CEO John Garrison.

As... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Production Specialist in Watertown, SD
    Current Employee - Production Specialist in Watertown, SD

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, excellent benefits, Easy to get paid time off, lots of opportunities for growth, community and employee involvement.

Cons

There’s a lot of hours to work, mandatory overtime Fridays and be long and drag on.

Advice to Management

Make Fridays voluntary instead of mandatory.

2. "Help in OKC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Terex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, Need work life balance

Cons

Management is too busy looking out for themselves to worry about the employees. Employees are who will grow your company. Invest your time with us, get to know us, teach us, you might just be surprised what we know.

Advice to Management

The CEO should make a surprise visit to OKC. The Sr. leadership team goes crazy when he is scheduled to arrive, trying to make sure everything is perfect. If everything was done right all the time, there wouldn’t be longer hours and panic before he arrives. Also, he should talk to office employees not just shop workers. We are told to go to HR, but there are so many changes, not sure who to talk to.

Terex Response

Sep 19, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. First, we are glad to hear that you enjoy your benefits here at Terex. And you’re right, we believe work life balance is an important component to a... More

Discover more reviews about Terex.