Tesla - EE Intern | Glassdoor

"EE Intern"

Former Intern - Electrical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Intern - Electrical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are very excited to work on a cool product.
You get to be around beautiful cars
People in the bay area think you're a rock star(for now)
As an intern, you will get to hear speeches from senior management including Elon. This brings a lot of very cool insight into company cultures and values.

Cons

Expensive area
Inters do not receive much respect, but this is typical to most companies
Employees who aren't from Stanford do not get treated as well as Stanford students.
Some projects are boring, but that is typical for internships
As an intern, this didn't matter to me, but many employees were upset over the lack of raises and the lack of reinvestment of profits into employee satisfaction. I think now that Tesla is more successful, employees feel that management would reward them for their work by following a compensation model similar to google(IE lounges, expensive shuttles, nice cafeteria)

Advice to Management

Allow employees to drive vehicles.

Other Employee Reviews for Tesla

"Passionate with a failure to recognize employees"

I have been working at Tesla full-time

Pros

You will work with extremely passionate individuals that work hard. You also get some decent benefits.

Cons

NO work life balance. Seriously, if you have a spouse, kids, pets, friends, or a hobby, you may as well kick them to the curb now. You will be expected to be available 24/7.

Advice to Management

Focus on your number one asset; your employees. You hired them for a reason! Let them be the brilliant employees that they are and stop micro-managing. Let them problem solve. Let them recuperate once in a while.

"A huge let down.."

Former Contractor - New Product Introduction Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Contractor - New Product Introduction Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are an engineer from an ivy league school or top notch university its an okay place to work because they let engineers take two hour lunches, work from home, take as many breaks as you want and pay you highly to do whatever you please. As an engineer you will not have to do much work because you have the N.P.I. or manufacturing introduction people to do it for you.

Cons

They make you work twelve to sixteen hour days at the drop of a hat. If you are white and thinking about working in the production area, think again because you will be the only white guy working there. So you will get dirty looks from others and you will feel like you don't belong because people of the same race form clicks at Tesla. Tesla is an American company that makes cars but the cars are made by foreigners that use to work for Toyota. Which is mostly Filipino and Chinese workers that send the money they make back to their countries. They all have known each other for years and speak the same language so they stick together. I tried to just ignore all this and work hard but it doesn't matter because you have to know somebody or be in a click to last at Tesla. Tesla will also promise to hire you on but they never do.

Advice to Management

I was promised in my first interview that if i worked hard i would most definitely move up in the company and be hired on in three months. I was so proud and excited to get hired. I was told their are lots of good opportunities by working for this big company. I worked very hard for about a year but i never moved up and never got hired. I went from N.P.I. in Palo Alto to getting interviewed by the director of engineering but then i was forced to work in the production line in Fremont. I was told this is all they had for me even though i worked 17 years of my life to get up to an engineering level. After starting at an entry level production job 17 years ago, i wasn't looking to go backwards in life. Well of course i wouldn't last in production because it would be like starting my life all over again, it was a waste of my talent. I have to much brains to be a robot in production. Then Tesla just threw me out like trash, they sent me an email saying my contract was ended and that this was final. A company that has such poor leadership will not make it very long. After i left Tesla i instantly made five dolor's more an hour and given a supervisor's position at a medical device company. This shows their are smarter companies out there that can see my talent and potential.