Tessella - Greedy Senior Management and lots of lower-level staff worried about the next redundancy round | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Tessella

"Greedy Senior Management and lots of lower-level staff worried about the next redundancy round"

Former Employee - Computer Consultant in Abingdon, England (UK)
Former Employee - Computer Consultant in Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at Tessella full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some interesting projects to work on
Reasonable salary
Promotion is structured - it is like McDonalds, after 2 years you get promoted, then after another year or two and you get promoted to the next

Cons

It isn't your fault if there is no work. You are chosen for redundancy if you are not billing (in the redundancy rounds, no-one that was 'billing' was ever chosen in a redundancy round).
You can be put on projects that don't match your skills but you are just available.
You can be put on projects where you are 'just a pair of hands'
You can be put on projects that are boring. I am a scientist and I don't want to work on a mismanaged DIGITAL ARCHIVING project ever!
The internal systems used are dire. A timesheet program written in VB6, Lotus Notes, a home rolled CRM.
You have minimal autonomy and there can be micro management.
Lots of "know it all's" with opinions on everything.
Sales culture is to get every penny out of the customer. Often this means that there are stroppy email messages sent to existing customers for more money, and you as the software developer have to go and work there being a different face of the company and having to apologize for the hard sales tactics and behaviour.

Advice to Management

Change the senior management, change the mid management.
Ask yourself why so many people leave dissatisfied.

Other Employee Reviews for Tessella

1. "OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)

Pros

Everything was OK but then I worked in the Winchester office which has now closed. The Abingdon office has moved.

Cons

The general day to day activities all had to be recorded on a time sheet and you were critisied if you didn't have the right hours in place.

2. "Quality people, interesting work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Tessella has some of the strongest individuals I have ever worked with. Really smart folks with a passion for learning new things and creating interesting solutions. I like how I can work on different projects instead of doing the same old thing. The culture is great across the company. I see myself building a career at Tessella.

Cons

I work in the US and sometimes find the UK rules a little weird. Paperwork for expenses and travel can be annoying, but it's not a huge deal.

Advice to Management

Raise Tessella's profile with potential clients. It's no fun having to explain we're not the people who create cool electric cars!