Texas Campaign for the Environment - First Week | Glassdoor

"First Week"

Current Employee - Community Organizer in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Community Organizer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Campaign for the Environment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people i work with are really nice.

Cons

TCE is one of those faux positive work environments where all the niceness, and the light hearted games seem scripted. The work itself is not bad, but your pay is directly linked to your fundraising. The campaign only seems to care about making sure we bring in enough money. Further, their methods seem counter productive. We are out knocking on doors well after dark trying to garner support money. most people won't open the door for us. Further, none of your talent or sills are taken into consideration. I have a graduate degree pending in the social sciences. I am hoping to work my way up into an analyst position. But it seems like i have been pigeon holed as a canvasser. at best this job is a band aid, not a career, unless you want to be a door to door salesman.

Advice to Management

read the resumes that people are bringing to you. You probably have a lot of talent that has left your organization because they were over qualified for the position you were offering them. Allow people who have proven skills in areas you use to move in that direction. Stop verbally abusing those members of the staff that do not meet arbitrary goals set by the umbrella organization. a post shift rap every time you miss goal is unnecessary and it kills moral.

Other Employee Reviews for Texas Campaign for the Environment

"Total Let-Down"

Current Employee - Canvasser in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Dallas, TX

Pros

Opportunity to learn about significant issues concerning environment/health campaigns in our state and to be with a team sharing common goal.

Cons

*they prescribe a "nice" dress code but girls don't really honor it (guys were pretty skimpy too - what's wrong with a TCE tshirt (at least)? no bra girls, seriously?
    *no bathroom break for 7 hours? I was almost begging my field manager - and never did stop.
    *the job pays minimum wage - you don't make $10/hour unless you make your quota of $160 a nite of fundraiser money (as much as they want to think it's about imparting knowledge, it comes down to getting funds)
    *some of the field managers have an attitude and aren't very respectful in their demeanor - not exactly the enthusiasm I was expecting for being the new person who is trying to be pumped up
    *you'd be better off getting the WHOLE spill of the job when you go in for the first interview instead of working five hours on the street and then learning it -
    * considering what this campaign brings in from funds, I seriously can't believe they don't pay more. it's really pretty sad. They need to be a little more "up front" about this in the job description and first interview. I basically wasted my time coming to observation day.

Advice to Management

Be more up front about pay and do it sooner. Put some personality in your field managers. Think about a more "just" wage (considering you are campaigning for a 'justice' issue, I was expecting something more in alignment with the salary stated in the opportunity post).
    Stick to a dress code.

"Most of my best friends are folks I met through working at TCE!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

* Almost everyone on staff keeps up with current events and enjoys intelligent conversation.
    * Walking around from 4-9 PM is good exercise.
    * Generating handwritten letters to policymakers (and sometimes hand-delivering them) is empowering.
    * The organization is almost entirely community funded, so campaign objectives are never beholden to corporate or government interests.
    * Health insurance, vacation and sick days are all offered.
    * Ten day training program covers all basic canvassing skills and FAQs on current campaigns.
    * Travel opportunities exist to cross-train at other canvassing organizations around the country.
    * Talking to 40-50 people every night means you meet really interesting people on a regular basis...and you realize that supporters of environmental campaigns are quite a diverse bunch.
    * The skills you need to do this job well are skills that are useful in many other aspects of life (strong eye contact, speaking confidently and concisely, how to read a map, how to find common ground with someone who seems very different from you, etc, etc, etc).

Cons

* While about half the people you approach each day get involved in the campaign, the other half do not, and some non-supporters are quite rude -- the overly sensitive need not apply.
    * Although $7.25/hour is guaranteed, advertised pay rate and job retention are based on meeting minimum fundraising standards, so this job is not a good fit for those seeking a guaranteed salary regardless of performance.