Texas Department of Public Safety - Not an easy place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety

"Not an easy place to work."

Current Intern - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX
Current Intern - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety as an intern (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay check, lots of paid holidays, mandatory state retirement contribution.

Cons

Management not flexible, their way or the highway. Some great bosses do exist there. Values too conservative for my taste.

Other Employee Reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety

"Tough Environment."

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great! Mission is vital

Cons

Little support for non-commissioned employees

Advice to Management

Support all employees - not just the Troopers.

"Retitled positions for the "entitled" worker, good ol boy system at it's worst, double dippers heaven"

Current Employee - Overworked, Underpaid in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Overworked, Underpaid in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexible work schedule, holiday, and paid time off. Benefits are "ok" they used to be better. I feel sorry for any of the new hires they won't receive half the benefits as current employees

Cons

Where do I start? The pay it terrible! I'm making what a high school student would make bagging groceries at a local grocery store. Most of the people I work with have to maintain TWO jobs just to make ends meat. When I was initially hired on I had to endure a very hostile work environment. After notifying human resources, and upper management about a supervisor whom would cuss out employees, use excessive discharge against co-workers to try and get them fired, throw things, and was even accused of sexually harassing a female co-worker, all they did was relocate him to another department. But that's not where it ended, his buddies in upper management have made my life a LIVING hell! They continued to reprimand me, put me on what is know as a "performance improvement plan" over and over and over again. I was in the middle of chemo, and radiation treatments for cancer, and had to take FMLA leave. I even tried to take my radiation treatments during my lunch break then come back to work but that wasn't enough. They found EVERY excuse they could to consistently threaten my job. It has gotten SO bad that now I have to literally put every single thing I do in my daily tasks, in writing to my current supervisor. I'm no longer allowed to take anymore training classes, because each time I send a written request it gets denied. I've attempted to apply for five other positions within the department, even got a offered a job in another area, was told I scored very high on the interview, was told I got the position. Then a week later they retracted their offer and gave the job to someone from outside the department. Even after assisting co workers in another area of the department for two months, I applied for that job, and was told "I wasn't qualified" Really??? After performing the job very well for two months, then applying for it I was told I didn't meet the qualifications for the job. I didn't even get offered an interview for that position. By this time I've given up on things getting any better. After creating several presentations for the area I work in, assisting my co-workers in their daily task, climbing up on shelfs and painting the area I work in with co-workers to make things look better, assisting other areas within the department I work in, and they still continue to do this to me because I was a "whistle blower" for all the illegal activities going on in that area.

Advice to Management

There is no oversight with management at all in this department what so ever. People in higher positions can run their areas like the private sector without any recourse. Security in the area I work in is non existent, anyone can just walk in and get what they want. In which case they usually do! That's the scary part. They retitle positions within the department for certain upper management to get higher pay. It seems like every manager now has a directors title for doing the same task as people in the past have done under manager or supervisor titles. Like other reviews have stated, it's not what you know but who you know in this department and it's true! They'll hire their buddies whom have little to no experience in "certain" positions before they'll hire anyone else. This place is also a retire/rehires best friend. They will let these retired people come back in and work the same position they left in or better, leaving no room for advancement at all for people still working in the deparment.