Texas Instruments - TI is a great place to work but there are some concerns. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Texas Instruments

"TI is a great place to work but there are some concerns."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good work enviroment; diversity is seen as a business strength; most managers are easy to work with and fair; many people have 10, 15 or 20+ years of experience; respect for the employees and individual contributors; good compensation; fairly good benefits (costs held steady this year for insurance). Overall, I've been happy at TI for a career that has lasted here over fifteen years doing a variety of software support and projects. There have been good opportunities to learn new things and work with the business people around the world.

Cons

At times I've seen people bullied at work by certain managers who are moved around but their behaviour does not get punished in any visible way, despite having an anti-bullying program in the past few years. TI has a very conservative corporate culture and it can be difficult to raise certain topics. Those of us that are more diverse ethnically, religiously, politically etc. may not feel open to discussing topics that bother us in our workplace for fear of reprisal. Women and minorities are promoted but there aren't that many women or minorities in senior management or on the board of directors. There seems to be better representation at the lower levels of management at least in my area of the company.

Advice to Management

On the effects of the economy on work force:
Please don't let the economic downturn cause you to make poor decisions about areas to cut. TI employees are willing to work very hard for no raise in 2009, please try to limit impact of a layoff in all areas including the "overhead" support functions like finance, IT and facilities. I'm afraid the cutbacks will go too hard and we will have trouble getting up to speed when the economic recovery is in progress to support the business growth cycle.

On management practices:
Engineers are the "kings" at TI, and those of us in other fields are sometimes made to feel less important or respected even though we are experts in our own fields. Higher level management has usually come through the engineering ranks at TI, possibly a reason that not more women are in the higher levels of management here.

Other Employee Reviews for Texas Instruments

"A great place to work...if you get to stay, that is."

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Dallas, TX

Pros

Fairly relaxed environment except fabs. Flexible about work-life balance, which has become a buzzword at many companies (it wasn't always that way). Management overall tends to be fairly respectful and humane with employees, though there are exceptions. World-class scientists and engineers mean you can really learn a lot here.

Nice 'college campus' facility; pleasant, wooded surroundings with relaxing, calming environment even including wildlife (foxes, even).

Cons

Very little room for advancement - many technicians and engineers stay at the same level for 20-40 years, with just minimal raises (often 1-2%; none this year due to economy). Favoritism can be a problem depending on the specifics of the people and management in a group. Layoffs are the norm here - don't expect to move here and be here for five or ten years - you will have no idea if you'll be here six months or you might end up being able to stay 40 years - but the people who outlasted many layoffs to stay that long are really the exception.

Advice to Management

Have some compassion for your employees, who are real people with real lives. When you proudly state that the company is in good shape with two //billion// dollars in cash yet you are willing to throw people out of their jobs with no thought about what will happen to them, it doesn't go over well and people sure do talk about this with people outside the company (like here).

2. "Good company but tough industry"

Current Employee - General IT in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General IT in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good benefits, profit sharing, good tenure

Cons

Volatile industry makes Stock incentives a roller coaster ride.

Advice to Management

People are your best asset. Need to take care of them.