Textron - I liked the company, but felt that there was no way for me to advance without moving to Woburn or excessive travel. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Textron

"I liked the company, but felt that there was no way for me to advance without moving to Woburn or excessive travel."

Former Employee - Senior Principal Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD
Former Employee - Senior Principal Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD

Pros

Good pay and benefits package. Generally, co workers were helpful and friendly. Telework or work from home was heavily promoted by most supervisors.

Cons

I spent a week at a training class when I first started, which was great, but they spent most of the time performing the administrative tasks (HR stuff) that all new hires need. The time would have been better spent showing me how my predecessor performed my job. There was no room for advancement within my department. I would have had to relocate or move to the internal audit group to be promoted.

Advice to Management

Increase your training program to two weeks and have the new hire spend some time with another employee who already performs the same or a similar function to allow the new hire to get a better idea of the systems, how things are done, and what the job is all about. Assign each new hire a "buddy" to help them get oriented to Textron. This would be especially helpful for remote employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Textron

"Great teamwork, mediocre management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slidell, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slidell, LA

Pros

Workers dedicated to putting out quality product. Folks generally work together as a team.

Good pay and benefits

Good facilities, especially Slidell administration building

Cons

Management was not proactive enough during salad days to prepare for future. Now they are playing catch-up, struggling to compete with more established competitors for future contracts.

Insufficient and late investment in technical tools to enable employees to do their jobs more efficiently and with less error.

HR is often an impediment to attracting and keeping talent. HR recently mishandled an opportunity to move a key employee to satellite office near the customer.

Some middle-level managers have lousy people skills, or are unqualified to manage much of anything.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

Pros

The division I worked in (E-Z-GO) was great at driving change and engaging employees; leadership shares a lot of information with employees.

Cons

Leadership was hesitant to say "no" to any project from parent company - resulted in very heavy workload for some employees.