Textron Systems - Good company, but defense industry is shaky | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Textron Systems

"Good company, but defense industry is shaky"

Pros

The staff and management are good and they keep everyone apprised. The software is good and the company has a good reputation.

Cons

Overwatch's main customer base is the military. Military spending is getting squeezed. It is not as stable as when I joined the company.

Advice to Management

Start looking towards new customer base and expand. They need more revenue streams and more contracts. They need to increase spending in research and development.

Other Employee Reviews for Textron Systems

1. "Great place to work"

Pros

The company is big enough in the defense industry which makes employees feel that their work is important for national security but not a mega defense corporation where people are units of labor.

The team members are great. Unlike many companies I've worked with, the HR staff is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Very quick to respond to questions and get things done.

My manager is very active in my career growth within the company and really invests alot of time in me.

Work/Life balance (you can come in to work at 10am if you want - as long as you get your 8 hours in and the work is done by deadline), laid back work place

Cons

Pay is comfortable but not like drug/healthcare industry, the consulting industry or IT field where salaries are much higher. Hey, it's the defense industry.

If you don't have your clearance, you can't work on the really cool stuff right away (this is also a PRO because they will put you in for a clearance - next year I should be able to work on the cool stuff)

Advice to Management

Hire more senior military officers fresh from retirement to help win even more business. For such a military/government/intelligence driven environment, I don't see too many former military people in leadership these days.

2. "Growing Company Full of Wonderful Opportunities"

Current Employee - Production Panner in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Production Panner in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After graduating from college in 2015 I was a little nervous to enter the workforce, but I couldn't have chosen a better company to begin my professional journey than Textron Systems. The company has many wonderful programs and training opportunities for its employees, and the one that I connected with right away was the first year program. Like I said, I was a bit worried about how my first few days would pan out. The first year program provided an almost seamless transition from backpack to briefcase and it allowed me to establish great friendships with my fellow colleagues.

Now that I've had some time to grow into my role, I've found that each day presents exciting challenges and opportunities. I'm constantly learning about new processes (internal/external), departmental duties & interactions, build structures, product lines/capabilities and many more fascinating aspects.

In terms of the company culture, I have found that Textron Systems commends those who take initiative and strive to take on new roles & responsibilities. The people are very friendly, hard-working, and dedicated to their work and relationships.

Here are some more highlights to reference:

-Textron Systems falls within the large conglomerate of Textron. Because of this, there is massive potential to move around as much as you'd like throughout your career.
    -Working for a company as prestigious as Textron Systems is intrinsically rewarding, and the importance of the products we sell drives the hard-work and passion put forth each and every day.
    -Textron Systems is growing at an exciting rate so there's plenty of opportunities for career advancements and fascinating growth opportunities.

Cons

I have no cons to report for working at Textron Systems.

Advice to Management

I tremendously value Managements ways of thinking at Textron Systems and the encouraging support, time and advice they give to their employees.