Thales - Your Mileage May Vary (Mine Was Excellent) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Thales

"Your Mileage May Vary (Mine Was Excellent)"

Former Employee - Legal Department in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Legal Department in Arlington, VA

I worked at Thales full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting/sophisticated work; empowered to make important decisions; international travel (Paris); good work/life balance; market compensation; pleasant colleagues (some awesome, none awful); good immediate boss.

Cons

Currently a transitional environment because of organizational changes at Group and US HQs (impacts morale and job security); ocasional cultural gaps between French and US management (never a problem for me).

Advice to Management

Weather the economic storm and increase focus on morale; improve internal communication.

Other Employee Reviews for Thales

"A Miserable Place to be..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Thales full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits were decent and I enjoyed the paid time off.

Cons

High turn around.
    Politics is immense.
    Lack of knowledge and support in management.
    The WORST human resource department I have ever seen. If you ask for help to deal with your awful managers, they will band together and harass you to death and force you to quit.
    Your experience, knowledge, and seniority does not matter. No ethics and No morals.

Advice to Management

Managers should be required to have an education. Most of management is amoral and will eventually be the fall of the company.

"MISLEADING INTERVIEW PROCESS - did not present the real facts"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Thales full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My comments are for the Irvine, CA location. During the interview, I asked specific questions about the tools, environment, management style, etc, and essentially, the Hiring Director and the newly hired Supervisor (My peer) lied about everything. It was more of an omission of information rather than a boldface lie. Even the recruiter downplayed some of the key negative issues which i list in the CONS. THe salary was comparable to my position and the benefits were average but expensive. Although the PTO they offer right away is 4 weeks (because of the french parent conpany), you likely wont get to take all at first because there are so many old-timers there who will get first preference. So if you don't use it, you lose it. The PTO issue is actually a con also as several key roles are always missing at meetings or for approvals because everyone is always on PTO. I'm not sure how this division makes any money. THe only other good thing is location is good and close to alot of restaurants which is important as they don't have a real cafeteria only a small room in each building with refrigerators/microwaves.

2 People: The only best thing about this location is that even thought the politics are typical, there are a whole lot of really nice people who have the best of intentions (thought not really exceptionally skilled). So if you enjoy a friendly environment, where you might shine above the crowd if you have super skills, then you will thrive here as you could get your work done in no time and kick back the rest of the time.

Cons

THis llst could go on perpetually, but I will try to list the most critical issues:
    1. culture: old aerospace folks who either worked for Boeing, or Parker Hannifin or other aerospacce group; this is an CON becuase this division is more commercial in nature because their product is their content delivery platform for the airplanes (the content video boxes) - so it has nothing to do with Aerospace except it was built in the same plant where they use to build the aeronautics. This division competes with Panasonice who smokes them because Panasonic understands the commerial arena. This is definitely going to hold this company back from growing.
    2. Culture again: this is not a technology hip company. THey just got smart phones last year and they really do not understand the benefit of them. (i.e, they don't use then to be efficient). The Mgt team members all prefer to conduct F2F meetings so that is all they do. MY director would go to meetings all day long that were mostly update sessions or discussion sessions where nothing got done. THat is just a French thing where the management teamn likes to debate things forever and over analyze it to death. This is a big time waster for those who are use to more aggressive, lean, hands on management style that is prevalent these days. It will be very confusing to younger generation. I worked with an intern from Cal Poly - and he was a junrior. He had more technical and critical thinking skills than most of the long term employees I worked with (in the office area not manufacturing). THis company is definitely not for the creative, innovative types.
    3. staff augmentation: they relied heavily on outsource staffing. That is how they got any talent and most was off-shore so they had cheap rates (but still talented); you almost feel like you were exploiting them but this seems to be common in what is left of the aerospace companies. You don't find many 'American's in the engineering teams except for the management, and the entry level folks who don't mind grunt work.
    4. Salary - I hear from the engineering teams that salaries are lower than the competitive area. However, in the office positions, you have old-timers that have been there so long that they make really good money plus have 8-10 weeks vacations so they are not going to go anywhere nor do they bring in any new ideas to the table. THey just do the same think like they always do.
    5. Technology - I mentioned this earlier - they have old fashiion work process that are manual and remind you of the 80's. you almost expecct to see green screen monitors and green striped computer reports. Again, it reminds me of old aerospace environment which I do happen to have a little experience with when I interned at Lockheed in the mid 80's. THis place looks and acts the same - very surreal now that it is 30 years later. THey finally are getting an ERP (SAP) system installed, but they have no clue how it will happen. It took 3 weeks to get a laptop, and a month to get me a smartphone , though the request had been in the system for over 2 weeks. I was told that it was actually quick for me. Go figure. THey had very locked down security that was very proprietary as most of it was implemented in France where it seems that they are not very hip on basic things like ENcryption. Yes, security should always be an issue, but there are plenty of fortune 100 companies who have figured it out without impeding their employees abilities to do their work.
    6.. Overall: because of the manual processes, and constant meetings culture, this organizatin can not respond quickly and alienated their suppliers. Generally, everyone just develops an apathetic, tolerant view of things. If you are a go-getter, you will be miserable here like I was. No one really expects you to get things done, and if you do, you likely had to steam roll someone. THere is always too much work again because of the old fashion internal business processes. it feels very much like a government agency. The culture is also very much a good 'ol boys environment but not even a current version of it, atleast in today's hi-tech companies if you are a smart female, you get tolerated by the men, but here, you just get ignored unless you are attractive (which does help).

Advice to Management

Bring in some innovative executive management from commercial arena and get rid of the old boy aerospace management team. You won't be able to get rid of the French influence, but atleast this division could have a chance of being competitive and keep jobs in the U.S. Stop letting the old-timers just kick up their feet and coast, put them on performance plans and get rid of them if they can't keep up with the newly hired folks,. Basically clean house of the deadweight, stop spending so much time in meetings, get hip on office technology to improve response time, and hire some bright, innovative, motivated front line folks.