The Advisory Board Company - Good exposure and flexibility, but workload is nearly impossible | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Advisory Board Company

"Good exposure and flexibility, but workload is nearly impossible"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the team you work on, you often have the opportunity to travel, be exposed to senior executives and have access to good training and professional development.

Cons

hire very young, inexperienced college grads and then pile the work and responsibility on top of them under the guise of stretch roles and opportunity. compensation for "home grown" employees is insulting.

Advice to Management

need more transparency with regard to changes happening within various teams

Other Employee Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

"Powerful place to make an impact in healthcare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very customer focused; great place to learn fantastic service
    Sales and marketing is executed at a very high level and provides an opportunity to learn how to sell to executives
    It's a high growth environment that is always changing
    Makes the biggest impact in healthcare of any other consulting, research, technology firm

Cons

Matrix organization structure makes for a fluid environment of management that can be difficult for some positions
    The high growth makes the environment somewhat chaotic and demanding at the same time
    Always looking to try something new and sometimes without experienced people who have had success from outside

"Good job foundation, but expect to be surrounded by Stepford Wives..."

Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-This place gave me tons of sales savvy
    -I developed great relationships and am still friends with a lot of my former colleagues
    -It gave me a great foundation as my first job out of college and I was promoted quickly
    -Fun incentive trips, happy hours, etc.

Cons

-HORRIBLE pay. $50k base to travel 4 days a week and sell in a recession? I think not.
    -Everyone talks the same, uses the same unnecessary, pretentious vocabulary words and expressions; it's almost cult-like in this regard
    -As a woman, I feel like I was looked down upon because I wasn't some Lily Pulitzer-wearing Southern Belle republican who went to Vanderbilt. These people are intellectual snob and if you don't look like you'd rolled out of the Harvard Law Review and/or the country club, people WILL look down on you.
    -There's a ridiculous amount of check-ins and infrastructure that take away from getting your day to day duties done
    -They don't teach you how to sell like an individual. It's so scripted, it hurts

Advice to Management

RELAX!
    PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES MORE!
    BE YOUR OWN PERSON AND STOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERYONE A COOKIE CUTTER OF THE NEXT ONE!